Drew C.

Euro style nymphing

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

I tied a few smaller but heavier flies last night. I’m still in the process of building a decent box so I ‘need’ lots of stuff right now so I can’t really concentrate on one type. 

im hoping to get out of work early tomorrow. If I can I will hit the Farmington and give it another shot. 

1 hour ago, titleguy said:

As for tying your dropper onto the bend of the point fly- that defeats the purpose of the set up.  Your point fly is your anchor fly and the dropper runs above it ( at least the way I have been instructed)  If you keep the tag short on your blood knot, it does not tangle as much. 

If it works, it works. Like I said, keeping everything inline that way has increased my hits and hookups....by a lot. I was in the same boat as you, thinking it defeats the purpose....until i was being out fished standing side by side with my buddy using the exact same flies. 

What i noticed is that the terminal nymph swings under the dropper/heavy nymph when they pass in front of you by that time both nymphs are on the bottom.  

I was tying a bloodknot with 6" tail and still getting twists around the main tippet, plus i wasnt hooking up as much. By having the heavy nymph on top and as an attractor the terminal nymph is what's catching for me. 

There you go.  Interesting as that is my usual set up for indicator nymphing ( which I literally no longer do).  If I leave the tag too long, I get twists as well and the squirminator is like a friggin eel anyway.

I use super heavy anchor fly and lighter on the dropper fly above.  I like to feel my anchor bottom bouncing.   A lot of my winter rivers tend to be somewhat industrial in nature and have lots of crap on the bottom ( wood, rebar, etc.) so I still lose flies.  I got into the zone a few times last year on the West Branch of the Penobscot where I hit the drift almost every time and hooked up nearly every drift.  It was great.  an 18" landlock in heavy water on that 3 wt noodle is quite the fight.

Edited by titleguy

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 3/26/2020 at 6:34 AM, titleguy said:

...an 18" landlock in heavy water on that 3 wt noodle is quite the fight.

Another benefit of Euro nymphing. Even 10 inchers feel large.  I hooked one large trout that I cold not control with my 3wt...it keeps growing. Now, it was over 5lbs (even though I never saw it). *G*

Edited by crashq