Sam Jacobs

Cant get my boat registered

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Hello all, Im new here so if im in the wrong forum feel free to redirect me. Heres my situation. Ive got ahold of my grandfathers 1990 sea nymph fishing machine 161. Great little boat. Ive replaced a whole bunch on it including the floors and got it running and looking great. Heres the problem, I cant use it anywhere. We have no sort of documentation of the boat. Hes tried working with the DMV of new york for months, with no luck. I live in New Jersey, so theres no luck here either. What Ive read on here is that you can get a title from an abandoned/salvaged boat. My question is, does it have to be a 16 foot boat similar to mine? Or can I get say a 14 or 18 foot boat and tell the DMV that ive done modifications and now it measures 16 feet?? Im lost here and would love to know anyones input on how I can get this boat on some real water besides the backyard canals. Thanks everyone and hope youre all stayin safe during the virus!

I think 16' is fine , did your grandfather reg. it?  does it have numbers?

Do you have a sticker next to your boat numbers.  The registry may have the info on their records? 

When was the last time it was registered? 

Have your grandfather sign it over to you and have it notarized 

Salvage?

people do it every day.

The date on the sticker is 04, so ill assume it was last registered then. Weve tried going to his state registrar with no results. Also a notarized bill of sale has done no better. Salvage is my last hope sadly. Any recommendations on where I can get a good deal on a pos with a title?

I found this out through the DMC in New Jersey when I was selling my boat.  All boats 12 feet and longer, constructed in 1984 or afterwards should have titles.  I would think that New York would have enacted something similar, especially on a boat built in 1990. You or your grandfather can call the NY DMV and ask what year boats had to be titled in NY.   Is Sea Nymph still in business?  If so, call them. They should be able to tell you the exact movement of the boat especially if your grandfather bought it new.  The other thing to do is call the NJ State Marine Police and ask them.  They use to run the HIN # and issue some sort of letter "that the boat is clear" and you could take it to NJDMC for a title.

The question is how you obtained the boat.  Assuming that he lives in NY, there seems to be a lost title process available, but your grandfather, not you, has to apply for the replacement title.

If he is deceased, a copy of the death certificate, etc. may help, alothough nyou've had it so long that you probably can no longer get a letter testamentary from the executor of the estate.

If he is alive but no longer competent to conduct business, his guardian or power of attorney (if he has executed a durable power of attorney while competent) should be able to fill out the needed form.

Here's the NY reference https://dmv.ny.gov/registration/how-replace-title-certificate

Step one. 

find out who owns the boat legally. Whos name is on the title.  If your grandfather  never sold it then he will need to get another title.  Think I paid 25 $ for a copy when i lost one in va.

Step two

If he sold it then you need to contact the newest titled owners.  Look at sticker to see last state reg in. Contact that state marine fisheriers and boat registration place. They can provide you with a form and info of last register owner for them to sign the boat over. Or clear there names from it.  Normaly you fill out form ,send off by certified mail. The owner either  get it and sign it or it comes back unopened after 45 days and defaults to you or onwer wants his property back ( imo take everything that is yours off. Motor etc). you send in unopened  certified letter and you get title. So count on 60 to 90 day process. This is how VA does it.  I have submitted this before. Was very easy but tedious.

Used to get registrations for pre 1972 automobiles in NY.  One thing they require is a "rubbing" of the vin plate.  IF you go to a dmv, they may ask that of the boat.  

There are probably alot of creative ways to get a registration......  Likely the only issue you will encounter is when you try to sell the boat.

I imagine there is a big variance between DMV locations in NJ.  I know in NY there is.  Big places and smaller locations.  When DMV's are open again in NY, try schoharie NY or hudson NY dmv.  Smaller quieter counties that are there to help you, vs some big monster places downstate that have waiting lines, etc.....

What state was it registered in?  Go to that state's marine enforcement arm (usually Environmental Police) and have them run the registration to see if your Grandfather is in fact the most recent owner.  You may need the HIN (Hull Identification Number) which is usually on a plate on the transom of the boat.  If he is the current title holder they will be able to tell you where to apply for a new title.

It will take some digging and small fee, but, you should be able to get a hold of the title, which he can then transfer to you with a bill of sale. 

Sam

On 4/7/2020 at 8:27 PM, makorider said:

rip the name off, call it home-made/built.  Or leave the name/plaque on and register it as home-built.  Who is ever going to check?

On the other hand, when you fill out the registration form, you are going to have to certify either under penalty of false statement or penalty of perjury (I don't recall which one, and it will differ from state to state) that all information is correct.  So if you do as described above, you will be committing a crime--not a violation, but a crime.  

For example, the New York Penal Law states that

A person is guilty of making a punishable false written statement when he knowingly makes a false statement, which he does not believe to be true, in a written instrument bearing a legally authorized form notice to the effect that false statements made therein are punishable.

Making a punishable false written statement is a class A misdemeanor.

Sentence upon convinction can be as much as 1 year in jail and/or a $1,000 fine.,

Yes, the odds are that you won't get caught, and if you do, the odds are that if you have an otherwise clean record, you've going to get an adjournment in contemplation of dismissal, but it probably makes sense that you understand the possible consequences before you start lying on a registration form.

It's up to you whether you want to break the law.

Posted (edited) · Report post

56 mins ago, CWitek said:

On the other hand, when you fill out the registration form, you are going to have to certify either under penalty of false statement or penalty of perjury (I don't recall which one, and it will differ from state to state) that all information is correct.  So if you do as described above, you will be committing a crime--not a violation, but a crime.  

For example, the New York Penal Law states that

A person is guilty of making a punishable false written statement when he knowingly makes a false statement, which he does not believe to be true, in a written instrument bearing a legally authorized form notice to the effect that false statements made therein are punishable.

Making a punishable false written statement is a class A misdemeanor.

Sentence upon convinction can be as much as 1 year in jail and/or a $1,000 fine.,

Yes, the odds are that you won't get caught, and if you do, the odds are that if you have an otherwise clean record, you've going to get an adjournment in contemplation of dismissal, but it probably makes sense that you understand the possible consequences before you start lying on a registration form.

It's up to you whether you want to break the law.

Jersey gave me a real hard time once.  Welded a killer 4X8X2 steel box with gasketed, locking doors and racks that I put on a 4x8 utility trailer back in my windsurfing days.  For whatever reason, Jersey gave me a hell of a time registering it, so I finally bogied up an invoice with a VIN and registered it lickity split.

Got pulled over too many times to count between Jersey and Hatteras.  Never an issue.  You can go to jail if you fart nowadays, life is too short for their BS.  I try to play nice, in the end I'll do what I have to do with something as miniscule as that.

We're not talking about a 40' twin diesel here.  Or a 20' CC here.

Oh...and we lied when I was a kid -Jersey started making us register our sunfish which my granparents bought in the 60s.  Paperwork? Oops.  Send me to jail.

Edited by makorider

16 mins ago, makorider said:

Jersey gave me a real hard time once.  Welded a killer 4X8X2 steel box with gasketed, locking doors and racks that I put on a 4x8 utility trailer back in my windsurfing days.  For whatever reason, Jersey gave me a hell of a time registering it, so I finally bogied up an invoice with a VIN and registered it lickity split.

Got pulled over too many times to count between Jersey and Hatteras.  Never an issue.  You can go to jail if you fart nowadays, life is too short for their BS.  I try to play nice, in the end I'll do what I have to do with something as miniscule as that.

We're not talking about a 40' twin diesel here.  Or a 20' CC here.

Oh...and we lied when I was a kid -Jersey started making us register our sunfish which my granparents bought in the 60s.  Paperwork? Oops.  Send me to jail.

It's not the jail I worry about.  It's when I apply for a pistol license, or a professional license, a state or federal job or appointment to a state or federal advisory panel or something of the sort, and the form asks "Were you ever arrested for a crime?  If yes, please describe the circumstances and the disposition." 

I like to be able to answer "No" and be done with it.  

48 mins ago, CWitek said:

It's not the jail I worry about.  It's when I apply for a pistol license, or a professional license, a state or federal job or appointment to a state or federal advisory panel or something of the sort, and the form asks "Were you ever arrested for a crime?  If yes, please describe the circumstances and the disposition." 

I like to be able to answer "No" and be done with it.  

While you have a point, and that would be an issue from me, thankfully the bureacracy's left hand doesnt know the right hand.

To each his own, many things would have to go wrong before you are forced to answer yes.  How many months more should he be trying?

6 mins ago, makorider said:

While you have a point, and that would be an issue from me, thankfully the bureacracy's left hand doesnt know the right hand.

To each his own, many things would have to go wrong before you are forced to answer yes.  How many months more should he be trying?

That's his call.  Personally, I'd take the thing to the dump before I'd misrepresent facts on a registration form. 

I might never win Powerball, but it would be just my luck to "win" the enforcement lottery.  After 60+ years, I've learned that honesty may come with a price, but it's a small cost for never having to look over your shoulder, even for the remotest threats.