Southcoastphil

Gibbs Trolling Swimmer Questions

7 posts in this topic

Looking at these three (+1) and have more questions.

Gratuitous pic of Whiting:

IMG_3239.JPG.dcb1c522ad28618517b81f78e55e8192.JPG

IIRC, someone indicated that the Whiting is by Stan and the two white ones are by John.  

IMG_3559.JPG.d908e4e310ef440dae720b1ee538fa22.JPGIMG_3557.JPG.d7a95d889521202beb869cf746749510.JPGIMG_3558.JPG.118a7fd0365bcf5d1f1dcbbccbb70e42.JPG

IMG_3873.JPG.5c6029aacc699f6a9e073cbfe5942764.JPG

I'll refer to the middle and bottom plugs as W1 and W2, respectively.

I'm adding it this old repainted warrior to the comparisons.

Improv.JPG.074e673ccb37750d93a2e88bdf589b60.JPG

What are the primary attributes that vary when comparing Stan's to John's?

To my untrained eyes, W2 looks different from the group of the other three, which I'll refer to as Group 1.

Although I don't yet know what you all look for, here are my observations.

Shape of front taper

There's a very sharp delineation where the body tapers to the nose in W2.  It's an abrupt change from cylindrical to conical.  After a 1/4" transition area, the sides of the cone are straight in the foremost 1 1/4".

The whiting and redhead have the same smoothest/most-rounded transitions, and the transition in W1 is in between W2 and these two.

Body diameter

W1 is the thinnest of the lot (1.41").  The other three were essentially the same (1.47"), making them 6% larger in diameter.

Overall body impressions

Group 1 has smoother transitions, more graceful lines and is "rounder" than W2.

IMG_3876.JPG.a649a10ef2d6a38be31c02f34489ad70.JPG

Blue eye colors in W1 and W2

W2 is clearly teal/aqua vs. W1's slightly purplish blue.

Lips

The lip on W2 is different than the lips on the Group 1 plugs.

IMG_3886.JPG.7f662a6942f47461ffb7f022b8995b4a.JPG

Body shape above the lip

Redhead and Whiting come to a round, tapered point.  W1's point is cut off, but not as much as the point on W2.

IMG_3885.JPG.82e6276d5958fd43b1631665ce931972.JPG

Turning/finishing

W2 has a lot of what appears to me to be grain tear out, all around the circumference of the body, with less showing on the front and rear tapered sections.  Due to the soft lighting, the pics show only about 20% of it.  

In Group 1, redhead and W1 showed *maybe* 10% as much tear out, which required close looks.  At arms length I couldn't see any tear out, even though I was using contrasty side-lighting.  The whiting plug only showed tiny amounts of tear out.  (Only visible at 1', in the highlight areas from contrasty lighting.)  Perhaps Whiting has thicker paint, which would serve to mask tearout.

It looks to me that the clustering is not the initial notion of Whiting vs."W1 & W2", but W2 is distinct from the plugs in Group 1, and that there are intra-cluster differences in Group 1.  Are these differences significant enough to further dissect this cluster by age or other independent variables?

That's what I saw.

What jumps out at you?  

What else do you look for?

one needs to know there's been somewhere between 5 and 7 owners of gibbs lures..the whiting /brown is stans...which is johns or the other owners who made them is anyone guess.

1 hour ago, capesams said:

one needs to know there's been somewhere between 5 and 7 owners of gibbs lures..the whiting /brown is stans...which is johns or the other owners who made them is anyone guess.

Steve it all began with Stan , one son, another owner in Falmouth back to someone near Natick, who moved to the cape for awhile , before selling it to the captain who lived in Sandwich and also owned the place in Rhody  and now it has been sold again . Me thinks that John may have also owned it in two occasions? If they were still in the package you may have a better idea who made what, although when it was sold some of the old packaging was used up by the new owners , Peace and Prayers

I hear johns in florida making bowling balls ..jim g. made them in yarmouth..he's now an electrician..his heart wasn't in it...he sold it to the RI guys.

5 hours ago, capesams said:

Thank you.

What is it about the Whiting that distinguishes it as one of Stan's?

the ease of which the body slopes to the head..the lip cut makes the wood on the nose round not square/cut like the others...that means they either cut the slot to low or the head is fatter...it's the same lip as an atom 40 all the way up to the gts3 3/4...