salt deficient

Mono choices? Trilene

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, salt deficient said:

I use mono for striper deadsticking and freshwater creek fishing.

Was just about to order another 1lb spool of 25lb trilene big game for the SSV6500LL's, a 1/4 spool of 8lb XL in light green for the SMB and trout, and 10lb brown for the salmon river.

Anybody like other types of line?   Used to really like Ande.......

Momoi Diamond. Very low memory. Very high abrasion resistance.

Back in my mono days I relied on ande, and big game pretty much exclusively. I stand by the theory such lines were fairly cheap and they got changed very frequently. 

I like several monos on my winches.

sea striker,cabelas salt striker copolymer,suffix.

they all perform well.

the first one mentioned is so soft and strong as well,very castable and smooth.

salt striker is thinner than most I have used and low cost in bulk spools.

suffix?,well,it speaks for itself!

HH

I usually alternate between live bait next to "chunka" when deadsticking.    Everytime I put a live fish on braid, it just seems to make a horrible mess of knots on the line next to it, or even on itself.   I had 3 live liners on braid, but swapped them all to mono over a season in the hudson......

Braid is awesome on the surf!   I really think I can cast a deadly dick farther with braid than what you can fill a spool with in mono!  Not that its always necessary.......

XL is long cast......

XT is tougher........

So whats the difference between that and big game.....

11 hours ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

I like several monos on my winches.

sea striker,cabelas salt striker copolymer,suffix.

they all perform well.

the first one mentioned is so soft and strong as well,very castable and smooth.

salt striker is thinner than most I have used and low cost in bulk spools.

suffix?,well,it speaks for itself!

HH

I grew to absolutely love Cabela's Salt Striker 40 lb. and 50 lb. over the past several years.  Fantastic line at great price. The stuff I've been using was made in Japan. I got ready to buy some more last year, but stopped short when I noticed it's all made in Malaysia, now. Have you used the Malaysian lines yet? Hopefully the quality remains the same. I just didn't want to chance it on fish that may weigh a few hundred pounds.

On 3/23/2020 at 11:50 AM, salt deficient said:

I use mono for striper deadsticking and freshwater creek fishing.

A 1/4 spool of 8lb XL in light green for the SMB and trout, and 10lb brown for the salmon river.

Anybody like other types of line?   Used to really like Ande.......

PLine CXX 6# will cover both the 8# and 10# XL.  It is a copolymer (not braid) line with small diameter and high breaking strength.

42 mins ago, Pendulauncher said:

I grew to absolutely love Cabela's Salt Striker 40 lb. and 50 lb. over the past several years.  Fantastic line at great price. The stuff I've been using was made in Japan. I got ready to buy some more last year, but stopped short when I noticed it's all made in Malaysia, now. Have you used the Malaysian lines yet? Hopefully the quality remains the same. I just didn't want to chance it on fish that may weigh a few hundred pounds.

I bought so much of it 15lb-40lb bulk spools that still don't need to and this was 5 seasons ago.I agree with you on how it performs.

love the stuff.

the 15lb is thinner than reg 12lb mono,more like 10 lb.

HH

5e7ac623ec9a5_HHPlugWerxLDP735.JPG.db749e64a51284279c3908c13e20d53b.JPG

33 mins ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

I bought so much of it 15lb-40lb bulk spools that still don't need to and this was 5 seasons ago.I agree with you on how it performs.

love the stuff.

the 15lb is thinner than reg 12lb mono,more like 10 lb.

HH

5e7ac623ec9a5_HHPlugWerxLDP735.JPG.db749e64a51284279c3908c13e20d53b.JPG

Good move on your part. I'm jealous. I just checked the Cabela's website and it's nowhere to be found. I guess Bass Pro got rid of it. :headscratch: Looks like I have no alternative to Momoi for BIG fish.:blackeye:

11 hours ago, Pendulauncher said:

Good move on your part. I'm jealous. I just checked the Cabela's website and it's nowhere to be found. I guess Bass Pro got rid of it. :headscratch: Looks like I have no alternative to Momoi for BIG fish.:blackeye:

yes it was a good move.

being that they had them on sale for 17 bucks for the chart spools and the same for the largest one too.

I thought why not.

at times they will have certain colors for less or more so that dictated what size spools I'd get.

def love how this line performs.

works great on spinners or winches.

HH

11 hours ago, Pendulauncher said:

sucks they don't have it anymore but,there is another brand I love too.

check out sea striker premium clear,,stuff is soft and silky and casts very smooth.

do a search.

HH

5 hours ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

sucks they don't have it anymore but,there is another brand I love too.

check out sea striker premium clear,,stuff is soft and silky and casts very smooth.

do a search.

HH

I like sea striker too. I have a spool of 40 lb that I use for shock leaders on 20 lb main line. It's tough, thing is the spool has to be 6 years old, I keep it in a dark cabinet . The stuff still holds up like iron and stays soft. Tight lines.

26 mins ago, hunter123 said:

I like sea striker too. I have a spool of 40 lb that I use for shock leaders on 20 lb main line. It's tough, thing is the spool has to be 6 years old, I keep it in a dark cabinet . The stuff still holds up like iron and stays soft. Tight lines.

everything you said is the same thing for me.

low cost and great performance.

I use it in 20-30 for my reels and 60-80 for my leaders,stuff is awesome.

HH

8 mins ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

everything you said is the same thing for me.

low cost and great performance.

I use it in 20-30 for my reels and 60-80 for my leaders,stuff is awesome.

HH

I'm going to use it for main lines as soon as I use up my supply of BBG. Tight lines.

3 mins ago, hunter123 said:

I'm going to use it for main lines as soon as I use up my supply of BBG. Tight lines.

I use BBG for leaders as well,got some one daya my local b&t,a guy was dumping his tuna reel and gave it me for free,got it  years ago and still use it.

it was 80lb green.

HH