salt deficient

Mono choices? Trilene

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

I use mono for striper deadsticking and freshwater creek fishing.

Was just about to order another 1lb spool of 25lb trilene big game for the SSV6500LL's, a 1/4 spool of 8lb XL in light green for the SMB and trout, and 10lb brown for the salmon river.

Anybody like other types of line?   Used to really like Ande.......

When I used mono on my spot and croaker rods for the back creeks, I used 10# suffix siege. I only used mono back then because if I had to lose 30yds of line on a crappy reel I’d rather just turn around and replace it with $3 worth of mono.

If you can, always try to use braid. Mono really has no place in most situations these days.

Have used 20lb pink Ande mono for years dead stinken,plugen on large rods.

I use 12lb golden Stren with 30feetof shocker for boating for small fish and 30lb pink Ande for boat fishen for bass.

Posted (edited) · Report post

53 mins ago, salt deficient said:

Was just about to order another 1lb spool of 25lb trilene big game for the SSV6500LL's, a 1/4 spool of 8lb XL in light green for the SMB and trout, and 10lb brown for the salmon river.

Mono do's have a place yet. I tried braid, don't like it. I will try it again on a inlet tog rod. I use BBG on all my conventional reels never had a problem and catch a lot of fish. I do use 17 lb Trilene on my plug rods for the surf, 20 lb for plugen the inlet. Flounder equipment 12 BBG, Now my 704 Z likes 20 lb trilene the best.You use what you feel comfortable using. I'm not trashing braid. Mono, better abrsion ,  tougher near rocks, No finger cuts, no wind knots. Braid , cast a little farther, no line twist, better feel. But remember we caught a lot of fish before braid. But yeah trilene is up there with the better mono. 

Edited by hunter123

52 mins ago, salt deficient said:

Yes i use trilene for fresh water only also, try a top shot of floro.

13 mins ago, hunter123 said:

Mono do's have a place yet. I tried braid, don't like it. I will try it again on a inlet tog rod. I use BBG on all my conventional reels never had a problem and catch a lot of fish. I do use 17 lb Trilene on my plug rods for the surf, 20 lb for plugen the inlet. Flounder equipment 12 BBG, Now my 704 Z likes 20 lb trilene the best.You use what you feel comfortable using. I'm not trashing braid. Mono, better abrsion ,  tougher near rocks, No finger cuts, no wind knots. Braid , cast a little farther, no line twist, better feel. But remember we caught a lot of fish before braid. But yeah trilene is up there with the better mono. 

Always amazes me how different some peoples preferences are...

I tried going back to mono...dipped my toes in...Spooled Suffix's latest and greatest on a metanium DC.......

Yeah...that lasted for about 2 months.......and most of that was spent using other reels........Forgot how many things you really can't even do with mono.

A buddy of mine loves braid.  Another buddy of mine loves bait.   We all fish freshwater together often.  We've had more luck with bait on mono.  Of course, I'm the bait n mono guy.  

Tried it on native trout.  Much tougher to get a trout to commit.  Seen them tail spinners and even live bait, but they see that odd line a few feet away.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

7 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

Always amazes me how different some peoples preferences are...

I tried going back to mono...dipped my toes in...Spooled Suffix's latest and greatest on a metanium DC.......

Yeah...that lasted for about 2 months.......and most of that was spent using other reels........Forgot how many things you really can't even do with mono.

I agree, Just didn't work out for me so far.  I do like the extra stretch in mono for setting a hook. Now if the braid works out on my tog setup for IRI , have no problems, I might try on my Conventional reels next. I'm not against braid, just have to learn to love it.:laugh:

Edited by hunter123

I use braid almost exclusively, but do use mono for some freshwater applications. Back in the day I used Trilene XL for casting because it had less memory and less stiffness, and XT for trolling and jigging because of its better abrasion resistance.

17 lb Suffix Tritanium on all of my heavers for NC and MD surf. Braid on all spinners.  I have recently been alternating the 16 lb Berkley Prospec Chrome on the heavers and like that too.

Honestly its gonna sound weird but I REALLY liked F&S brand mono. It very soft and supple, easy to tie (i used up to 20lb). I use it almost exclusively for FW leaders now when i fish FW with braid.

Otherwise, Trilene XL OR Berkley Big game

I really only use mono for leader material now. Braid for everything and just tie a mono or fluoro leader. However, baitcasters I only use fluorocarbon. Straight mono I would do for trout if I was throwing flies on spinning gear but that’s about it

Andes Backcountry and Trilene XL are my favorite mono's.  I use straight mono for light tackle, live bait, and a few topwater setups.  Most of my combos are Kanzen braid or Mega-8, with a few fluorocarbon baitcasters for trolling or jigging. 

8 hours ago, ASrod said:
8 hours ago, ASrod said:

When I used mono on my spot and croaker rods for the back creeks, I used 10# suffix siege. I only used mono back then because if I had to lose 30yds of line on a crappy reel I’d rather just turn around and replace it with $3 worth of mono.

If you can, always try to use braid. Mono really has no place in most situations these days.

There are lots of good uses for mono. Pompano fishermen can hold bottom with lighter weight because of stretch. I actually like it better for light bait fishing in the north. 

9 hours ago, hunter123 said:

I agree, Just didn't work out for me so far.  I do like the extra stretch in mono for setting a hook. Now if the braid works out on my tog setup for IRI , have no problems, I might try on my Conventional reels next. I'm not against braid, just have to learn to love it.:laugh:

I can see benefit of stretch maintaining pressure and keeping contact playing a fish.  For hook set I would think you want tight drag and little stretch to drive a barb home.