salt deficient

Wuhan wierd and the hatchery releases

13 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I am curious what is going to happen with our trout release.   I'm pretty certain they have to do it, bigger fish in the same volume of water and rising temps providing enough oxygen.

 

I think it'll be feast or famine.  They'll dump a ton here n there, but not distribute to local hunting clubs to dump a bucket in this that and the other spot along our lil waterways......

 

Tried calling our local region, but they're not in the office.

 

Hope everyone is healthy and safe, and we should try to keep that way......

 

Edited by salt deficient

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, salt deficient said:

I am curious what is going to happen with our trout release.   I'm pretty certain they have to do it, bigger fish in the same volume of water and rising temps providing enough oxygen.

 

I think it'll be feast or famine.  They'll dump a ton here n there, but not distribute to local hunting clubs to dump a bucket in this that and the other spot along our lil waterways......

 

Tried calling our local region, but they're not in the office.

 

Hope everyone is healthy and safe, and we should try to keep that way......

 

What state are you in?

PA has details on their website.

JD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maryland halted all trout stocking over a week+ ago.  However, before the stoppage MD-DNR stocked many pre-season streams and ponds with many thousands of trout.  So there are some fish to be found and hatcheries were able to lighten up their hatcheries.  Should hold them for a while.  But they have to make room for the next crop of fingerlings destine for next spring 2021.

 

To save me some time, what did PA do about stocking???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MA wildlife spring trout stocking hasn't slowed a bit!!

Those guys are dumping hundreds of fish per day all across the state.

If any of you guys on here are responsible for this.... Thank You! :howdy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Yes I would like to second the thanks for the great efforts from the MA stocking teams. Watching the daily updates it is clear they are on a mission to get those fish out while they still can.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

would be helpful to know what state you're in. 

in NJ i am hoping that they continue to stock including the in-season stockings and that we have a really wet 3-4 weeks and it washes them out of the stocking pools. NJ started stocking a week early but not sure if that was all they were going to stock for awhile or if they are continuing.  Not sure if they are in the essential employee category either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, HJS said:

Maryland halted all trout stocking over a week+ ago.  However, before the stoppage MD-DNR stocked many pre-season streams and ponds with many thousands of trout.  So there are some fish to be found and hatcheries were able to lighten up their hatcheries.  Should hold them for a while.  But they have to make room for the next crop of fingerlings destine for next spring 2021.

 

To save me some time, what did PA do about stocking???

Well they had just gotten started when this virus thing hit. They pulled their stock schedule down off the website and left a message saying they going to "consolidate" the rest of the trout stocking for the year. Dates and times won't be posted until after the fish have been stocked. So sounds to me like the places that would normally get multiple stockings over a period of weeks will now get the same amount of fish but all at one time. ......and probably not spread out at all. Just dumped in a few spots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 hours ago, Redneck Tourist said:

Well they had just gotten started when this virus thing hit. They pulled their stock schedule down off the website and left a message saying they going to "consolidate" the rest of the trout stocking for the year. Dates and times won't be posted until after the fish have been stocked. So sounds to me like the places that would normally get multiple stockings over a period of weeks will now get the same amount of fish but all at one time. ......and probably not spread out at all. Just dumped in a few spots.

Yes,

That’s what it sounds like to me.

I know they we’re trying to do the best they could while keeping everyone as safe as possible. 

It can not be good for the streams or the fish, I.e., hundreds of fish dumped on top of each other in a hole of a bridge or next to parking lot.

That being said, I understand & appreciate that they’re getting the fish out.

Stay safe out there, especially if you venture out to try to find a spot along a stocked stream. 

Respectfully.

JD

Edited by jjdbike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, TBYRD said:

MA wildlife spring trout stocking hasn't slowed a bit!!

Those guys are dumping hundreds of fish per day all across the state.

If any of you guys on here are responsible for this.... Thank You! :howdy:

 

15 hours ago, JEFFSOD said:

 

Yes I would like to second the thanks for the great efforts from the MA stocking teams. Watching the daily updates it is clear they are on a mission to get those fish out while they still can.

Another :th: for Mass trout stocking. Been doing a bang-up job. Hopefully they will let it continue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't know why they would curtail stocking until they can't risk having a couple hatchery workers next to each other. Just paint "stay back 50'" on the trucks and get them out there. As mentioned, the stocking isn't a big deal, but I don't think they can keep the adult fish indefinitely and it's better to move them when it's cool out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reporting in from Connecticut

Stocking as is normal other than taking precautions when working closely with others and the public 

Fish are still going out normal numbers, normal places, normal timing 

 

There's also serious talk of moving the opening day forward so people can go out and fish 

Believe that will be happening soon 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Talked to someone at hatchery in NY.   They are releasing, a little sooner though.   No volunteers like from hunting clubs to distribute, so larger releases in less locations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.