JimP

Grill. ??

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

OK Gents,  looks like I'll be in the same place for a few more years.  I'm jonesing to get a no-joke grill I can burn some burgers on, smoke some stuff, maybe cook a pizza.  Looking at the Big Green Egg but the hebe in me says it's way too rich for the few years I may actually be in one place.  Maybe the Komodo Joe (?), Komatsu..??  Whatever the hell the other brand is?  

Thoughts?    

I figure if huge dinghy can put out passable looking grub, how freaking hard can it be???  :huh:

I have a large bge.  It has allowed me to cook things I never would have attempted.  Simple to use and figure out.  I have cooked for groups of 30 on 2 occasions with a lot of time and a little bit of planning.  Great for blackening chicken/fish.  I have cooked whole pompano on it, pork butts, ribs, pizza, beer butt chicken.  Amazing dry rub wings, add smoke flavoring to baked beans.  I can go on and on.  Get one.

6 hours ago, JimP said:

OK Gents,  looks like I'll be in the same place for a few more years.  I'm jonesing to get a no-joke grill I can burn some burgers on, smoke some stuff, maybe cook a pizza.  Looking at the Big Green Egg but the hebe in me says it's way too rich for the few years I may actually be in one place.  Maybe the Komodo Joe (?), Komatsu..??  Whatever the hell the other brand is?  

Thoughts?    

I figure if huge dinghy can put out passable looking grub, how freaking hard can it be???  :huh:

If you can't take it with you I agree with your inner hebe. Egg is great but you can do a lot for less cash.

I'd get a weber kettle for a quick way to burn stuff and not cry if I have to leave it behind. 

15 hours ago, Kml said:

If you can't take it with you I agree with your inner hebe. Egg is great but you can do a lot for less cash.

I'd get a weber kettle for a quick way to burn stuff and not cry if I have to leave it behind. 

Yea, but it ain't ceramic... Not bashing Weber... They're a good product... But I've been cooking on a kamado for almost 50 years... It is the best type of "do-it-all BBQ/grill' you can get... Is there no way you could take it with you when you leave? Maybe resell it if you have to... Pretty sure you could get some of your money back...

Butch

Posted (edited) · Report post

Seems to be leftover Kamado Joe earlier model at about half the price of the newer version.  I’m tempted.  Weber kettle can’t be beat for the money though and isn’t 200lbs. 3 years of use and it owes you nothing, it’s curbside pick up 

Edited by JimW

Good gouge guys - I really appreciate it.   I've had Webers and they are great; had to leave them with the house(s) when I PCS'd.   Now that I'm retired and working as a civilian, I'll be here another 4-6 years so don't mind getting a ceramic.    Leaning towards it......

I love my ceramic but still haven't quite figured out how to get a good sear with it yet.  It's great for low and slow, ie cooking in the 225-325 F range, but I find myself reaching for the weber if making burgers or steaks.

if cheap and versatile is what you want look into a kettle....you can do almost anything on a kettle with a few fire bricks to make it cook indirect.

3 mins ago, sbcbmx112 said:

I love my ceramic but still haven't quite figured out how to get a good sear with it yet.  It's great for low and slow, ie cooking in the 225-325 F range, but I find myself reaching for the weber if making burgers or steaks.

My KJ gets way hotter than my Weber. How are you lighting your charcoal? What brand of charcoal are you using? Are the vents wide open? Lump/briquettes? The KJ allows you to lower the grates to just above the firebox. There is no way in hell that you can't get a ceramic hotter then a Weber. Don't get me wrong I love my Webers, but if I want to sear some thing it goes on the KJ.

23 mins ago, Big Biscuit said:

My KJ gets way hotter than my Weber. How are you lighting your charcoal? What brand of charcoal are you using? Are the vents wide open? Lump/briquettes? The KJ allows you to lower the grates to just above the firebox. There is no way in hell that you can't get a ceramic hotter then a Weber. Don't get me wrong I love my Webers, but if I want to sear some thing it goes on the KJ.

I was gifted the round primo kamado all-in-one and added a kick ash basket.  The way its set up inside I cannot lower the grate below its default spot which is pretty high above the coals.  It just rests on the rim of the inner ceramic bowl.  I use a chimney starter with kingsford briquettes but I do have some royal oak lump I haven't tried in the primo yet.  Vents all the way open.

Its not so much that I can't get it hot enough to sear but more that I have to use significantly more charcoal (aka more than 1 chimney worth) than I would to do the same job on the weber.  Sounds like maybe its an issue with my exact model and not ceramic grills in general.

29 mins ago, sbcbmx112 said:

I was gifted the round primo kamado all-in-one and added a kick ash basket.  The way its set up inside I cannot lower the grate below its default spot which is pretty high above the coals.  It just rests on the rim of the inner ceramic bowl.  I use a chimney starter with kingsford briquettes but I do have some royal oak lump I haven't tried in the primo yet.  Vents all the way open.

Its not so much that I can't get it hot enough to sear but more that I have to use significantly more charcoal (aka more than 1 chimney worth) than I would to do the same job on the weber.  Sounds like maybe its an issue with my exact model and not ceramic grills in general.

No bueno, I got you now. Yeah that does not lend itself to great searing. I believe you could still get a good sear if you were to use the R-O lump instead of the briquettes. 

I do believe you are right in that it's not ceramic grills in general, but the model you have. 

Use lump.... I have no problem getting my Kamado over 900 degrees... Not that I need or like to... Its not really very safe either....

Butch

I got a Weber kettle 2 weeks ago. My gas grill looks like it’s relegated to hamburgers and hot dogs from now on, if that. 
Smoked a few whole chickens, cooked steak tips with direct heat, and split chicken breasts tonight indirect/direct. So far all good. 
Gonna pick up a few fire bricks as HD suggested to wall off one side. 

30EF2D17-A633-46BC-A943-B3954E7EDCFC.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 3/22/2020 at 1:18 PM, JimP said:

Thoughts?    

Buy a Weber Kettle, AND an 18 inch weber Smokey Mountain.

A big Kamado or a big smoker or killer grill is wonderful to own, But nobody NEEDS more than the above.  If you cant do it with those 2 you cant do it.

Now, the money saver.  I tell people this heed my words.

Buy the Weber Kettle used off Craigslist.  Lots of people get then and decide that charcoal is dirty and yukky, and run back out and buy a gasser.  Keep a close eye.  Some of the kettles will be burnt through and dead, but many many will have less than one season on them.  There are LOTS of them on CL

You MIGHT find a smokey mountain used too.  Like a kettle, buying one used is ok, they are tough, and they all end up looking like hell anyway

Around 400 total for both with a little luck and you have every tool youll ever need.

Edited by Little