turkaholic

Line cleaners

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Just wondering what is a popular fly line cleaner. My stuff is getting old and I just upgraded and picked up two new outfits. One 10 wt used primarily for tropics and one for cold water. I want to keep my new lines slick and clean. I seen a cleaner on line that is a box you run your line thru with a treated sponge. Looks sweet. Supposed to be in Marathon tarpon fishing, but noooooo

I stretch my line (hook it to a fence and have my son put a bend in the rod then I walk along it and clean it with loon line cleaner. I’m sure there are less expensive line cleaners you could diy.  

3 hours ago, turkaholic said:

Just wondering what is a popular fly line cleaner. My stuff is getting old and I just upgraded and picked up two new outfits. One 10 wt used primarily for tropics and one for cold water. I want to keep my new lines slick and clean. I seen a cleaner on line that is a box you run your line thru with a treated sponge. Looks sweet. Supposed to be in Marathon tarpon fishing, but noooooo

What I use is STP Son of a Gun (car vinyl cleaner & lubricant):

The unique polymer silicone formula of SON OF A GUN!® Protectant penetrates surfaces to shine and protect vinyl, rubber and plastic. SON OF A GUN!® helps protect surfaces from fading and cracking by reducing effects from ultraviolet light, while bringing out color and restoring luster and shine. It also protects against abrasion.

And / Or Armor All:

According to patent documents, Armor All typically contains water, PDMS (silicone), diethylene glycolglycerin, and various additional chemical compounds.[1]

Hence both contain a silicone polymer which adds some floating properties to a fly line, while it cleans and adds slickness (less tangling "stickiness"). 

Been using these for years ... applied by stripping the line through a chambray cloth patch.

9 hours ago, Chipnice said:

I stretch my line (hook it to a fence and have my son put a bend in the rod then I walk along it and clean it with loon line cleaner. I’m sure there are less expensive line cleaners you could diy.  

I love your technique, gonna try that one! I use Airflo Wizz Lube with the voluptuous dame on the label. I'm pretty sure it's intended to be used as a line cleaner. 

Rio sells little individual towelettes that cost about a dollar.  I use soap and water if the line really looks dirty and use these towelettes a few times a months.

I have a round steel column in the garage that I loop my line around and stretch it down the driveway. Give it a nice long stretch and then reel it in tightly, running it through a towel with some scientific anglers line cleaner/conditioner that I’ve had for like 15 years haha. 

Nice tips here. I tried the amoral cleaner protector and it works nice. Took a sponge and soaked it down and folded it over the line and used a cloths pin to close it up. Then reeled up line. Put the sponge in a zip lock for next time. Sure increased my casting distance. Too much grass casting lately dried my line out a bit.

Just stay away from any detergents[degreasers].Newer lines use different polymers to keep them slick.Some older cleaners and reconditioners can react with these newer lines.Especially when these lines are running around $100 a pop.Just a thought.

The only thing I question is that TSP and Armor all leave a film on the line?

TSP / white powder film

Armor All / sticky

BFD always said he used soap and water?  

Anyone interested in this should listen to the Orvis podcasts with the SciAngler R&D guy, Josh Jenkins.  They recommended pretty strongly against fly line cleaners - instead they recommend soap and water.

He also says that, on SA lines anyway, the coating is impregnated throughout the line, so you can take a scotchbrite pad to them and take off the very outer layer and you basically have a new fly line.

Crap, just when I thought it was clear. How often are you cleaning your line?  My line is fairly new and I wanted to maintain it properly. Can’t hurt anything with plain soap and water it would seem. 

I use the loon cleaner, conditioner, and  sci-angler cleaner. I wipe the line down everytime I use it. Once a year I wash it with a very mild soap. I have gotten 5 to 6 years with some lines doing this.