Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sudsy

Pair of vintage Navesink River Eel Gigs

13 posts in this topic

$40 for the hand forged one on the left, $30 for the one on the right (has a busted tip)

$60 for them both

+ any shipping

20200320_180936.jpg.6eeb7ebf917bc299bedb4edf2ed9cb50.jpg

Not in at least over 25+ years, that's how long I've had them and I don't know how to weld

They were very rusty from back when I got them, I just ran them though my Electrolysis tank which cleaned em up nice.

This was once a very Italian thing to do in this area.

The rivers used to freeze over far more often then they do now, and the local Italian population (big Italian section in Long Branch) used to make a big deal out of spending a day cutting holes in the ice and gigging barrels of eels for Good Fridays Dinner of the Fish's

Eels - yuch !!! :freak:

20 mins ago, Sudsy said:

The rivers used to freeze over far more often then they do now, and the local Italian population (big Italian section in Long Branch) used to make a big deal out of spending a day cutting holes in the ice and gigging barrels of eels for Good Fridays Dinner of the Fish's

They actually taste pretty good. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Caught a huge one once and decided to try it

By the time I got it completely cleaned the slime was worked so deep into my skin I had to scrape it off with a knife which didn't even do the job very well. forget soap and water, no chance.  They still felt slimy every time I washed my hands all through the entire next day. Disgusting !!

Deep fried the eel chunks were at best, meh

Edited by Sudsy

I remember using one of those way back in the early 60's.  My father and I would do exactly as you said.  On the Navesink, cut a hole in the ice no larger than 9" diameter.  The gig was attached to a long (like 15') pole and you would jab the gig into the mud.  The tines would slip around the eels body and when you pulled it out of the mud you could feel the weight of the eel you caught.  

Thinking about it why couldn't that still be done from a boat?  Anybody ever try?

Edited by Dan Tinman

I think those would look pretty cool on the side of my shed but I don't want to pay to ship them.

Good luck w/the sale.

Bump for a cool item.

Just worked out what it would cost to ship - and I don't blame you

They don't fit in a large flat rate and the smallest box I can squeeze them into is 13"x10"x9" and 5 lbs, which is in the $20 range to ship from 07726

Looks like these are a pick up item

Edited by Sudsy

On 3/22/2020 at 5:25 PM, Sudsy said:
On 3/22/2020 at 9:30 AM, Sudsy said:

Sudsy thank for re clicking this synapses from my boy-hood. I have a couple of those in the shed with the eel comb. Picture this in the pre-Christmas days:

An 18’ foot sharpie with a tiller engine running at a pretty good clip up the canals and creeks. An old tong handle with the comb on the bottom and a line to the bow. As the comb ran through the mud and the weight of the impaled eels go to the right heaviness, you pick the comb up, boat still running and dump it in the boat between the fore and aft bulkheads. End of the day you’d have a mass of eels (and slime) 7’ wide 6’ long and 20” high. What you had to watch was hitting a stump going the speed and the tong handle ripping out of your hands. Today there would be a YouTube video.

Edited by Shag

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0