red clam sauce for pasta

Rate this topic

Anyone care to share a red clam sauce for pasta recipe ?

I have a hankering for clams and pasta, but not much knowledge in the cooking part.

I have a few cans of minced clams, some tomato paste, and some pasta sauce, some canned mushrooms,

and some spices on hand.

They havent closed the package stores here yet so i can also get wine if it is recommended.

Wondering if the clams cook in the sauce or pre cook them?

simple is way better with my limited kitchen skills

THANKS

Start some minced garlic in oil.  Don’t let it get much color.  Add liquor from cans to stop garlic from browning, reserve the clams.  Add tomato sauce and a little wine if you have it.  Simmer on low, cook pasta al dente, combine with clams and sauce.  Clams are cooked, further cooking only going to make them rubber. Add a little pasta water if needed to thin sauce 

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

Some chopped parsley if you have it. 

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

2 hours ago, oldgoat said:

Riggler  ya can't bring that stuff to New England.

No red clam sauce allowed.

Um, that would be no red chowder (Which I find stupid, cause I make an awesome one.)

Red clam sauce, you never had Frutti Del Mar in New England? :squid: 

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

2 hours ago, JimW said:

Start some minced garlic in oil.  Don’t let it get much color.  Add liquor from cans to stop garlic from browning, reserve the clams.  Add tomato sauce and a little wine if you have it.  Simmer on low, cook pasta al dente, combine with clams and sauce.  Clams are cooked, further cooking only going to make them rubber. Add a little pasta water if needed to thin sauce 

This, but also some small diced onion, small diced red pepper.  And first thing you put in the sauce pot is a can of flat anchovy fillets along with the oil they come in. heat that on high while stirring until they dissolve.

Then add some red pepper flake, then the garlic, onions, and peppers.

Saute for a few minutes, add a bay leaf or two, some dried or fresh thyme, some dried oregano. Saute for another minute,. Add your tomatoes (or sauce), a splash of red wine, and simmer for at least 30 minutes on low.

Make your pasta (I am partial to Angel Hair) and about 3-4 minutes before you are ready to drain it, dump your clams into the sauce.

And you are all set.

Of course, when I make this, it also includes mussels and squid, and if I am lucky enough to have some, blue claw crab meat served on top at the table.

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

SOL Member #174

I did forget a pinch of red pepper flakes.  

12 hours ago, oldgoat said:

riggler&steve in Mass .

I;m wrong I was thinking of red clam chouder.

I figured that... ;):th:

SOL Member #174

On 3/20/2020 at 2:00 PM, Steve in Mass said:

This, but also some small diced onion, small diced red pepper.  And first thing you put in the sauce pot is a can of flat anchovy fillets along with the oil they come in. heat that on high while stirring until they dissolve.

Then add some red pepper flake, then the garlic, onions, and peppers.

Saute for a few minutes, add a bay leaf or two, some dried or fresh thyme, some dried oregano. Saute for another minute,. Add your tomatoes (or sauce), a splash of red wine, and simmer for at least 30 minutes on low.

Make your pasta (I am partial to Angel Hair) and about 3-4 minutes before you are ready to drain it, dump your clams into the sauce.

And you are all set.

Of course, when I make this, it also includes mussels and squid, and if I am lucky enough to have some, blue claw crab meat served on top at the table.

Sounds great Steve.

Isn't that a Fra Diavlo? 
JD

Red peppers? 

:wag:

I think a whole can of anchovy would be too much. A few filets should be fine. Don't be shy with the garlic. Go heavy 

Edited by Mike

"Depend not on fortune, but on conduct."

6 hours ago, Mike said:

I think a whole can of anchovy would be too much.

I am talking enough sauce for 4-5 people.

And sorry, for me, red bell peppers smally diced are a MUST.

Edited by Steve in Mass

SOL Member #174

Speaking of anchovy, does anyone make pasta solely with anchovy sauce?  Lightly brown some garlic in the oil from 2 cans of anchovies (flat) and then drop in and mash the anchovies.  Add just a little bit of water and simmer for 1/2 hour.  Just prior to draining pasta reserve a cup of the water.  Drain pasta and mix in anchovy sauce.  Use some of the water if it needs some, but this should be more dry than soupy (don't think of it as tomato sauce, it's more of a covering on the pasta for flavor).  

This will be our lunch on Good Friday, along with broccoli rabe, basket cheese and dandelion salad.  One of my favorite meals of the year!