Fishing and Covid-19

Rate this topic

Belmo

I mentioned in passing to the wife yesterday that if this thing lasts as long as I expect it to, which is at least a month and probably more like six to eight weeks, I'm going to go fishing at least occasionally, like once a week, to keep myself sane. The way I fish, it really won't be any different: I go at night, to beaches where I know there won't be anyone around, and I won't come within 100 yards, let alone six feet, of another person. Throw a plugging rod, a plug bag, and waders in the car, drive to the beach, and get out and hit the suds a couple of hours after sunset, plug for a couple of hours, and then turn around and drive home. Easy, right? 

Well, from the reaction I got, you might have thought that I said that I was planning to go to Wuhan to eat some bats, and that I'd stop in New Rochelle on my way home to lick some doorknobs. I don't necessarily know that I'm going to let the Nattering Nabob of Negativity stop me from going, but it was a reminder that different people have different perceptions of the threat this virus represents. 

What are youse guys gonna do? Some kinds of fishing, like on party boats, is probably out of the question, but is there a way we can still fish, at least a little, while still honoring the spirit, if not the letter, of self-quarantining?

It hasn't mattered yet, at least in Jersey, because there aren't really any fish around yet, but what our you humps gonna do when the fish show up? Will you go fishing? If so, how? 

And, in conclusion, screw Terri. :th: 

Terri Mae does not approve this message, but screw him.

13 mins ago, Kings over Queens said:

Makes perfect sense to me belmo.

I was thinking about going clamming today which can be as solitary or social activity as you'd like.  Today would have been a good say for winter flounder fishing.

If only you had a boat. 

You know it must be a penguin bound down if you hear that terrible screaming and there ain't no other birds around. 

Been trout fishing every day since Monday. Different lakes and streams all around me. Plenty of spots and room to maintain distance and they stocked on Wednesday. My wife understands that when the run starts I will fish it but she also knows I fish alone in the dark. She has been and will be totally fine with it. 

I’m now a Floridian. Had a neighbor ping me yesterday, asked me to go out on his boat in the inter coastal, I declined. He just returned from Mexico from a bonefish trip, visited Mexico City  and flew back into Miami airport.  Good call, yea or nea? Oh yea I can fish the beach or take my kayak out myself on the inter coastal.

I’m going.  Even under the best of circumstances, I don’t engage in chit chat with people at the boat ramp.  

Short of the truck breaking down and me having to ride in a tow truck, there is zero potential for me to engage with anybody.

1 hour ago, Wire For Fire said:

With everybody and their frookin brother off from work and school the lakes by me have been more packed then I ever seen them .. mr chins everywhere filling buckets .. they ruined my germ free zone , heard the beaches were packed too same way 

same here, scouted out one of my crappie spots a few days ago and there were a dozen or so asians all crammed up by the  bridge keeping buckets full of tiny fish.

I aint fishing that spot.    

The village, which had stood for maybe 1,000 years, didn't know we were coming that day. If they had, they would have run. boB was at the eye of our rage. And through him, our Captain Ahab. He would set things right again. That day, we loved him.