Florida news, beaches, information

Rate this topic

saltfisherman

I have some information spread out along other threads so I’d figure I create a central location for basic information. This will pertain to SWFL area mainly. 

Beaches, closed and/or limited access;

Collier county

city of naples

lee county

ft myers beach, this went further to say no walking on the beach plus added fines. $5000. 

Others news;

Sunday Florida keys will close to non-residents. 

Florida state parks are closed to, camping and programs. 

3 hours ago, EricJ said:

how about boat launches?

Eric, so far I’ve heard nothing of that happening. The closest to a marine based business being closed is the bait shop at lovers key. That is right at the ramp and your pay location. But, that’s part of the state park. 

Edited by saltfisherman

Just got the info.  As of 6pm March 19 th. closed and also Lee County  

State Park beaches will more than likely follow suit in the near future. Right now they are open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Edited by ccb

We took a drive and a walk on the beach. 

Lovers key boat ramp is open. 

State located beaches are closed, including the dog beach in Bonita. 

Lovers key is open to limited number 

We were able to get on the beach at big Carlos Pass which is part of lovers key. Took a bit of walk and sat down for a while. Everyone left space between themselves. Actually very nice to have personal privacy, that’s the one good thing of all this. 

Lots of boat traffic and access to beaches at the passes. 

There is still access for kayaking and fishing. Bridge fishing is also available. Bait shops are open. 

14 hours ago, EricJ said:

how about boat launches?

Most but not all boat launches are open.  Boaters (and especially kayakers) are still assessing what is open to them and what will not be.  Ft DeSoto, for example, is a closed state park yet the campground and boat ramp are just inside the park entrance and will be accessible.  The beaches and fishing pier further into the park are not.  Launches not associated with parks seem to all be open.  Others well within parks are said not to be.

Beaches seem to be a matter left to counties and municipalities.  For those of you who may have seen what appeared to be a packed Clearwater Beach this week (it made national news), I was sitting on that beach Monday when the local NBC helicopter hovered above us and filmed, followed by one of their newscasters doing ground filming.  While there seemed to be lots of people on this very large and wide beach, it was far from over crowded with no groups larger than 10.  Every group, large and small were spread out.  However, this NBC station first shamed the Clearwater Beach mayor into closing his beach, followed by shaming the county commissioners into closing all beaches within Pinellas County.    The virus is real but the press seems to be making it their baby to raise as they see fit.

24 mins ago, Hook I said:

Pretty stupid Florida close the beaches for red tide but remain open for the Coronavirus :lost:

SWFL, never closed their beaches for red tide. The east coast were the only smart ones. People still went to the beaches coughing and hacking. 

What sent the towns off here in FT Myers beach area were the spring breakers. That set the hard line attitude towards people on the beach and fines. The rest of the beaches don’t have the guidelines that FT Myers does. They told them to go home, plain and simple, you need to leave now. 

14 mins ago, saltfisherman said:

SWFL, never closed their beaches for red tide. The east coast were the only smart ones. People still went to the beaches coughing and hacking. 

What sent the towns off here in FT Myers beach area were the spring breakers. That set the hard line attitude towards people on the beach and fines. The rest of the beaches don’t have the guidelines that FT Myers does. They told them to go home, plain and simple, you need to leave now. 

Both of us knew they should have been closed because we both fished SW then stayed away as much as we could . But that does not a sure being a mile off the beach is safe . 

If it has fins i want to catch it 

12 hours ago, Redcross33 said:

Broward County Beaches are shut down. The state park in Dania will only be operating at 50% capacity. Park will close at 5pm and the boat ramp at 3pm.  All subject to change

Mizell and Birch State park are closed until further notice