BRossi

United Composites GT Surf

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

This isn't really a review since I haven't fished them yet. I just wanted to put this out there for anybody that might be looking for more info on these blanks. I couldn't find much myself before I ordered them and I though this might be helpful to somebody. My curiosity got the best of me and I ordered the US100 ML-2J (1-3oz) and US100 H-2J (1-5oz). They are a 30/70 split with a tip into but ferrule. The butt section is actually reversed taper going from a thinner diameter at the butt cap and increasing where the ferrule is. I did cork under shrink below the reel seat and winn wrap directly on the blank above to try to make it appear a little more even. Ratings are almost always a crap shoot but I was surprised that they were pretty accurate. The butt design makes them a little heavier than any other comparable rods I own. I guess it could add some strength but I've never blown up a joint before so I'm not sure how valuable that is. Interesting blanks, maybe after I fish them I'll feel differently but right now I don't see anything that puts them ahead of anything else. Anyways, hopefully somebody finds this useful. 

20200319_204454.jpg.5a4cbf2e1fea2b1232cbdf0ae5834ecb.jpg

Thanks for posting this! Hopefully I’ll get a chance to check these out after this stacycation is over...

Is the split on the rod at the top of the handle?

Yeah they connect where the handle ends. I could have made the grip a little shorter but figured it would look cleaner this way. One cool thing is that both tip sections fit tight in either handle. You could bring one handle with two tip options but I don't see a lot of advantage in that. If you could just order additional tips that might be neat.

Thanks. The ratings on the lineup are kinda "different" as you've probably seen. They go 1-3oz, 1-4, 1-5, 1-8 and 1-10. My 1-5 is probably more like 1.25-5oz with the high end being a little more of a lob. Never fished the canal but the higher rating blanks could be good.