dannyplug1

Line for Ned rig

14 posts in this topic

This year I am going to try fishing the Ned rig.  I have a light spinning rod and the jigs  and Ned worms.  What kind of line and pound test do you recommend for this type of fishing?   Thanks Charlie. 

I got the Z-man finesse version w/ the light wire hooks in 1/20, 1/15 & 1/10 oz w/ the 2 3/4" TRD worms that I'll cut back a little to be closer to 2".

I'm planning on using them in local streams for trout and smallies.

I'm using 4lb test. I have to believe that thinner line will not only cast better (not that long casts are really all that important in my application), but also have better action.

JD

Posted (edited) · Report post

6lb braid with a 6lb fluorocarbon leader on a light or medium light fast action 7' 6" rod for smallmouths. For early season and winter trout I might drop down to a 4lb. leader.

Edited by Jay Blair

I'm primarily using Yozuri Hybrid for mono type line, but on some lighter spinning reels have Ande or Silver Thread. Both in 6 lb and I've used them for many years and have no complaints.

I also have Berkley Trilene XT Solar on one reel in 8 lb. I like it too, and if I get more, will likely go to 6 lb. I like it because I can see it very well. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

11 hours ago, Flip n Dip said:

6 pound mono.

1 hour ago, Jay Blair said:

6lb braid with a 6lb fluorocarbon leader on a light or medium light fast action 7' 6" rod for smallmouths. For early season and winter trout I might drop down to a 4lb. leader.

50 mins ago, Jim H said:

I'm primarily using Yozuri Hybrid for mono type line, but on some lighter spinning reels have Ande or Silver Thread. Both in 6 lb and I've used them for many years and have no complaints.

I also have Berkley Trilene XT Solar on one reel in 8 lb. I like it too, and if I get more, will likely go to 6 lb. I like it because I can see it very well. 

If not using braid, is there advantage to hybrid copolymer floro / mono for casting Neds & carnks / jerks to trout and sallies in streams?

JD

Edited by jjdbike

1 hour ago, jjdbike said:

If not using braid, is there advantage to hybrid copolymer floro / mono for casting Neds & carnks / jerks to trout and sallies in streams?

JD

I don't use any fluoro at all. I use braid for many fishing applications, but as I said also use the Yozuri Hybrid and some different mono type lines. Except for the Hybrid, I don't really give a lot of thought to actual type of line I'm using.

I like the Hybrid, as it's not all fluoro, has qualities of both mono and fluoro, and is priced reasonably. I don't use it a lot on spinning gear, mostly on baitcasters, so it's not a line I use for light, finesse type applications. It casts well, I can see it well, and it has very good abrasion resistance. Those are the reasons I use it. I've also found that I can make fly rod leaders with it that work great for me, so I don't need to buy other line type for that use.

I can't say there's any advantage for me to be using these mono type lines ( non-braid), other than cost and I've been using that type of line for over 50 years, so something I'm used to doing.

I'm sure other folks have their own opinions on that, and their preferences for lines they use and why they use it. I feel that, no matter what a person uses, if it works for them, then it's not wrong. 

The fact is, what works for one person, may not as well for another. There's a "feel" to all of this in how folks fish, and that's not something that any of us can relate to another person. The rods we use are likely different too. We use words like "sensitive", but again, that's a personal aspect. You don't "feel" things the same as I do.

You simply have to try what you think might work for you and see for yourself. That's the best way to determine any of this when buying a product. That's also why I use what I do, because I have tried many products over the years, and what I use now does what I want, and at a price I'm willing to pay.

If there was only one way to do any of this, we would all be doing it exactly the same. 

I use 8-10lb braid with 6-8lb fluoro leader paired w/ a medium/medium light spinning stick (7ft)

I like using a braid to leader on all my rods. That way I can use only a few rods for the day and switch leaders for different techniques. Hope this helps.

IMG_4316.JPG

I am using 6lb flouro because it is a bait that is just sitting there and I want the line to be as invisible as possible.

For Neds 8lb braid to a 8 or 6lb flouro leader works for me. Smallmouth or largemouth. If your fishing around cover/structure maybe up size your leader for abrasion resistance to 10-12lb.

any main line braid THEN double uni to fluorocarbon leader 6 -10 lb see what works best , the main line is not so important , I have one main line 20 lb and have a spool of , 15,12, 10, 8, 6 ,yo -zuri pocket spool which is about 30 years each  and switch off as needed for any below surface presentation , your going to get hung up so your constantly changing , buy a couple of dozen heads in different   / size weight hope this helps