ljschroe

Osprey 2020

Rate this topic

78 posts in this topic

52 mins ago, bdowning said:

I wonder if owls attack ospreys? Or vice versa? :eek:

I'd say they're similar in size...not that that matters if you watch the blackbirds harassing the osprey!

3 hours ago, bdowning said:

Owls nest much earlier than osprey. Great horned owl chicks are already half grown right now. If there were babies in that nest, I'd guess you could see them.  If an osprey arrived to find a nest full of half grown owls and two angry owl parents, I don't believe the osprey would get that nest

I do think a great horned owl would gladly catch and eat an osprey chick if it found an unguarded nest at night.

On 4/6/2021 at 6:33 AM, bdowning said:

Chances are it was there looking for a meal, they’ll eat just about anything that smaller then them at night.. there’s videos out There of them harassing eagles/hawks etc. at night. .. it’s really an easy meal since osprey /eagles/hawks generally have terrible night vision, and can’t see the Owl coming, 

yesterday, i saw, for the first time in my life, an osprey grab a mouse from a field. four town farms. just happened to be driving by...was cool as hell. 

I saw a good show of them dive bombing herring last pm before dark..... Also scared a couple having sex at a fishing spot while their bait lines were out... My comment was " i guess the fishing is slow" :laugh:

Was at field yest for a double header. Watched one bird leave to go fishing and come back less then 3min later w a HUGE bunker. Wasn’t sure if he was going to make it up to nest or drop on kids game. Tried a few times them ate part of it on a near by post and then flew the rest up to share. They are awesome birds. And clearly there is plenty of bunker around as there was a half eaten one near field also.

On 4/6/2021 at 10:19 AM, mikez2 said:

I do think a great horned owl would gladly catch and eat an osprey chick if it found an unguarded nest at night.

Reminded me of this infrared video of hawks and an owl. Hawks sitting quietly in total darkness...when out of nowhere one gets grabbed by Mister Owl.

Friendly "X" The Owl he is not.

X-1551-600x448.png.178ee8cead3e29a376d6957035a9521c.png

I once saw an Red Tail Hawk fly by in the early spring about 10 years ago while kayak angling in the Back River in Massholia with a squealing Chipmunk. 

I had mixed emotions because we were so close that I could easily make out the 'munk's doomed predicament, 

yet happy for the predator on his score.

I quickly lost interest and went back to the focus at hand.   I remember that same outing having major nose bleeds 

from the pollen that day.  Fortunately I can't remember having another one since.....knock on wood!

My dad's an outdoor photographer and puts in a lot of time shooting birds of prey.   He's had a hellova

year shooting Eagles, Snowy Owls, Osprey......etc.          

On 4/9/2021 at 8:43 AM, Kooky said:

I saw a good show of them dive bombing herring last pm before dark..... Also scared a couple having sex at a fishing spot while their bait lines were out... My comment was " i guess the fishing is slow" :laugh:

I don't think it's considered spotburning if you are talking about a good place to have sex, but we may need a technical ruling on this....