ljschroe

Osprey 2020

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

I noticed that optimist had posted a thread on March 25th, 2016, that they were back, and that in Dinghy's thread from 2014 Borntafish posted their arrival on March 20th, that year. tpp23201 posted a thread saying they were in the East bay as of March 21st, 2019.  I'm sure if I dug in further I could find more data.  There were other reports of seeing them earlier by almost two weeks.

I haven't seen them at the Silver Spring nests yet in South County, but they must be right around the corner!

An observer on a Massachusetts birding website reported his first-of-year osprey sighting on Wednesday in West Dennis on the Cape.

Closer to RI, the two nests visible to me on Slocum's River in Dartmouth are still unoccupied as of yesterday, 3/19, and the fish ladder at the old millrace at head of the River--about 3 miles from Buzzards Bay--still had no herring before yesterday's big rain.

I had to go from Aquidneck Island down to Westerly yesterday and I was checking a number to nests on the way with no occupants noted. Digger noted that there a herring in the Bay with plenty of seals enjoying the feed.  He also noted water is 5 to 6 degrees warmer than last year to date. 

1 hour ago, L Train said:

I had to go from Aquidneck Island down to Westerly yesterday and I was checking a number to nests on the way with no occupants noted. Digger noted that there a herring in the Bay with plenty of seals enjoying the feed.  He also noted water is 5 to 6 degrees warmer than last year to date. 

what did he have for water temps if u dont mind me asking... sitting at 43 in the river by me bout 1 or so hrs up river from mt. hope

From Narragansett PORTs site this am:

----------------------------Air and Water Temperature---------------------------
                           Air   Water                              Air   Water
Providence               30 °F   43 °F   Providence Visibili..    29 °F        
Conimicut Light          30 °F   45 °F   Borden Flats Light       31 °F        
Fall River               30 °F   46 °F   Fall River Visibili..    31 °F        
Prudence Island          31 °F           Sandy Point, Pruden..    31 °F        
Quonset Point            31 °F   45 °F   Newport                  31 °F   38 °F

Weather has been too inconsistent for any real warmup. More of the same this coming week. Long range was calling for temps in the 60’s for a short stretch. Might help for a few degrees, but i think it will be the “usual” timeframe for the first stripes, minus a week or so on either side. Maybe.

Today's the day !!!!!  The osprey is back !   

Saw the first one on the nest site at Silver Spring this morning.   

Sharpen those hooks and get the tackle ready.....

16 mins ago, optimist said:

Today's the day !!!!!  The osprey is back !   

Saw the first one on the nest site at Silver Spring this morning.   

Sharpen those hooks and get the tackle ready.....

Woohoo!!  Thanks for the update!!