Cheeckakoe

Trout 2020

65 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

News 12 NJ reported that 2020 trout stocking has begun and to continue for the Seasons as Scheduled. the only thing amiss is she said limit of 4 per day and after checking it is (4) not 6

Edited by Cheeckakoe
limit change

It's happening in Rhode Island.  Noticed RIDEM staff today dropping several rainbows into a local lake.  Said they would be back next week with browns.

trout2020a.jpg

trout2020b.jpg

JOEC  Browns NJ is a constant failure for the NJDFAG but our neighbors are a success, But I can not complain since my Licences & Stamp are free for Freshwater fishing.  My local fishing Platform when not using my Raft. 

Grandpa on The Bench.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Did some C&R artificials only in PA earlier this week. Was a great excuse for a walk along a stream. I was surprised how crowded it was, seeing it was mid-week, in a relatively remote area, C&C only. Saw people using Berkley power bait and Gulp products (worms not trout bait paste). I didn't say anything, but in reflection I should have.

I was reminded it's still early spring as the fish were sluggish / lethargic. It was a little low, especially for spring, and gin clear. Fish were spooky. They were also piled up at the one or two places they were stocked. I walked 3 miles in 4 hours and got 2. Had to work hard for the. Threw everything I had at them.

In PA, no volunteers are allowed and I think they are doing all of their stocking for the season in one bout, so dumping all at once, instead of incrementally across the spring.

Kind of stinks but at least they're stocking.

One opening day in PA this year, instead of different regional openings. I believe it's 4/18.

Best Regards.

JD

Edited by jjdbike

14 hours ago, Cheeckakoe said:

News 12 NJ reported that 2020 trout stocking has begun and to continue for the Seasons as Scheduled. the only thing amiss is she said limit of 4 per day and after checking it is (4) not 6

it's 4 day now until season closes 3/23.  the state started stocking earlier than scheduled due to covid-19 , they did this kind of quietly so you could go to some streams now and bang away on dumb green stocked fish but can only keep 4. when the season opens 4/1 the bag is 6.

9 hours ago, Cheeckakoe said:

JOEC  Browns NJ is a constant failure for the NJDFAG but our neighbors are a success, But I can not complain since my Licences & Stamp are free for Freshwater fishing.  My local fishing Platform when not using my Raft. 

Grandpa on The Bench.jpg

I hear ya'.  I'm in same situation, except that my freshwater isn't reciprocal with adjoining states like my saltwater license (also free in RI) so I spent $60 this year so I can fish with my sons in CT.

Looks like you found a great spot and I'm very impressed with your little "walkalong" for wading.

Tight lines in 2020!!!

On 3/19/2020 at 3:44 PM, Cheeckakoe said:

On 3/20/2020 at 6:31 AM, BrianZ said:

it's 4 day now until season closes 3/23.  the state started stocking earlier than scheduled due to covid-19 , they did this kind of quietly so you could go to some streams now and bang away on dumb green stocked fish but can only keep 4. when the season opens 4/1 the bag is 6.

Just a reminder it is now closed for all but these waters >

Catch and Release Only, Seasonal, and Year-Round Trout Conservation Areas and designated Holdover Trout Lakes are also open to fishing. However, trout caught in any of these waters during this period must be released immediately.

Unless you are Mexican or Russian!

Copy pasted from other thread 

Reporting in from Connecticut

Stocking as is normal other than taking precautions when working closely with others and the public 

Fish are still going out normal numbers, normal places, normal timing 

There's also serious talk of moving the opening day forward so people can go out and fish 

Believe that will be happening soon 

22 mins ago, GrahamN said:

Copy pasted from other thread 

Reporting in from Connecticut

There's also serious talk of moving the opening day forward so people can go out and fish 

Believe that will be happening soon 

SERIOUSLY whos bright idea is that to keep people separated.  Or how about an Ice fishing Tournament can you believe that one even in good times more people than fish. 

mass people.jpg

more.jpg

&more.jpg

ice.jpg

Just had to add theses from Saxton Falls in The Garden State of New Jersey OH that is typical of Trout Fishing for some Rainbow Dinks that taste like Sh&*^. 

falls.jpg

Falls 2.jpg

They also stock this lake with Trout Spring Fall Winter Opening day sees more people. But for a few Regulars after that, the fishings is calm and varied. here with my Grandson in July.

beard.png

2 hours ago, Cheeckakoe said:

Just had to add theses from Saxton Falls in The Garden State of New Jersey OH that is typical of Trout Fishing for some Rainbow Dinks that taste like Sh&*^. 

falls.jpg

Falls 2.jpg

Those NJ hatchery truck chasers eat anything . 

Freshwater and Trout Fisherman is not the only group to SCHOOL UP have to give some credit to the Salt Group and if you ever attended the Governor's Tournament on IBSP you know what I mean. 

surf 1.jpg

surf line up.jpg

Partyboat.jpg

3 mins ago, Cheeckakoe said:

Freshwater and Trout Fisherman is not the only group to SCHOOL UP have to give some credit to the Salt Group and if you ever attended the Governor's Tournament on IBSP you know what I mean. 

surf 1.jpg

surf line up.jpg

Partyboat.jpg

Yikes! Not my idea of an enjoyable fishing outing!!!

Dam Can't believe I found this one The Ideal in Point Pleasant NJ one of the first boats I fished on in the 40s ( Doug M ) $5 plus $1 pool had a Coal stove below for Winter Flounder fishing. 

IDEAL.jpg