Matt7082

Sooo...is opening day canceled?

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

11 mins ago, jeffreyrichard said:

My buddies on the Cape are trout fishing year round. Opening Day is entirely overblown IMO

I agree.  Many in Rhode Island have been pushing to get rid of opening day for years.  But the state likes touting that opening day of trout season is the biggest RI sporting event of the year.  They do this for fishermen who only fish that one weekend a year - pretty sad.

3 hours ago, DZ said:

So I hear Connecticut has opened their trout season early - as of yesterday.  

That would be correct. I just posted the official notice in the CT section.

4 hours ago, DZ said:

I agree.  Many in Rhode Island have been pushing to get rid of opening day for years.  But the state likes touting that opening day of trout season is the biggest RI sporting event of the year.  They do this for fishermen who only fish that one weekend a year - pretty sad.

True. It’s more of a tradition than anything. Growing up in CT, I did the majority of my trout fishing in the late fall and winter. I am new to RI. I know their opening day in the past was epic. My father took me here a few times when I was a kid. But there doesn’t seem to be any trout fishing around here outside of the spring stocking season. I could he wrong. Haven’t had a chance to explore much yet. 

On 3/19/2020 at 10:53 AM, DZ said:

A good reason to move to no opening day like Mass.  State should just open the season right now.  Then stock ponds unannounced to keep crowds down. 

100 percent agree Less presure on the fish.

Not a Rhode Islander here, bit a Long Islander. This thread peaked my interest  because they just started stocking our ponds and rivers here this month, but not sure they will continue because now they're even closing state parks... interesting to see what's going on in other states. Stay safe stay healthy. 

9 hours ago, DZ said:

One thing they should do is start the license the day you buy it ,and let it expire 365 days later. Like NY This will in the long run promote more revenue. 

17 hours ago, borntafish said:

One thing they should do is start the license the day you buy it ,and let it expire 365 days later. Like NY This will in the long run promote more revenue. 

Would really like to see them offer up a lifetime license like NY does.  Cost me about 1000 for hunting/fishing.  Was a GREAT purchase...until i moved to RI 2 years later :banghd:

On 3/25/2020 at 10:18 AM, DZ said:

Ain’t that the damn truth lmao 

On 3/25/2020 at 2:48 PM, Matt7082 said:

True. It’s more of a tradition than anything. Growing up in CT, I did the majority of my trout fishing in the late fall and winter. I am new to RI. I know their opening day in the past was epic. My father took me here a few times when I was a kid. But there doesn’t seem to be any trout fishing around here outside of the spring stocking season. I could he wrong. Haven’t had a chance to explore much yet. 

People usually keep trout fishing until the tog bite picks up or the schoolers come in

On 3/19/2020 at 9:50 AM, Matt7082 said:

Maybe I’m selfish for still wanting to get outside to practice social distancing. But is the state stocking the ponds/rivers? I assume they’re not, but haven’t seen or heard anything about it. I’d avoid the opening day crowds for sure, but it sure would be nice to get out soon after. 

Yep, I observed them in the process last week and they assured they have been busy stocking.  They even let me take a few photos.  

trout2020a.jpg

trout2020b.jpg

I think once they are done stocking that they should just open the season with a reminder to folks to keep distance.  If they wait to open people are going to start fishing for them regardless.  

43 mins ago, Kooky said:

I think once they are done stocking that they should just open the season with a reminder to folks to keep distance.  If they wait to open people are going to start fishing for them regardless.  

I agree - a “silent” opening is much better than a single timed opening like opening day.  

Decades ago, opening day of trout fishing was always the 3rd Saturday in April.

DEM was known as Rhode Island Fish & Wildlife than. There were a few times they would change the starting times too.

Some years it would be mid-night, but most of the time it would be sunrise not 6:00am like it is now. To note too, our Daylight savings time was different too, so morning sunrises were an our earlier. Clocks hadn't change yet.  

This year I'd like to see the State delay the opening for at least another week to ten days,giving them more time to stock.

We've been having a lot of rain and all the rivers are near flood stages making too dangerous for novice anglers.

This would also give the stocking a chance to branch out in the rivers and ponds and find their own natural pockets and food supplies.

Hopefully too it would be a little less contagious time too. Too avoid large crowds, open it during the week without prior fanfare so crowds couldn't form.

Just announce it maybe the day it opens, without any further notice to control the crowds. But you know RI... with insider information. People can't keep a secret.