Matt7082

Sooo...is opening day canceled?

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

Maybe I’m selfish for still wanting to get outside to practice social distancing. But is the state stocking the ponds/rivers? I assume they’re not, but haven’t seen or heard anything about it. I’d avoid the opening day crowds for sure, but it sure would be nice to get out soon after. 

While i hope it goes forward because people need something to do, especially outside.  But with the crowds that form and tempers, spacing and spots could get ugly.

A good reason to move to no opening day like Mass.  State should just open the season right now.  Then stock ponds unannounced to keep crowds down. 

1 hour ago, Kooky said:

While i hope it goes forward because people need something to do, especially outside.  But with the crowds that form and tempers, spacing and spots could get ugly.

Agreed. But after the first couple days, the crowds have typically dissipated. 

36 mins ago, DZ said:

A good reason to move to no opening day like Mass.  State should just open the season right now.  Then stock ponds unannounced to keep crowds down. 

That’s a great idea! 

24 mins ago, Matt7082 said:

Agreed. But after the first couple days, the crowds have typically dissipated. 

Agreed, just that initial day push will be the challenge.  And people are on edge now so no need to escalate that.  DZ has a great idea

I asked RIDEM on its Facebook page to consider opening early because they are promoting outdoor activities like hiking state parks during this crisis.  Here is their response:

State and federal government recommendations about social distancing and other guidance related to limiting the spread of the coronavirus are changing rapidly from day to day. DEM will continue to monitor developments closely before making a decision about going ahead with Opening Day as previously scheduled, modifying, or postponing. Thank you for your understanding during this difficult time.

1 hour ago, DZ said:

I asked RIDEM on its Facebook page to consider opening early because they are promoting outdoor activities like hiking state parks during this crisis.  Here is their response:

State and federal government recommendations about social distancing and other guidance related to limiting the spread of the coronavirus are changing rapidly from day to day. DEM will continue to monitor developments closely before making a decision about going ahead with Opening Day as previously scheduled, modifying, or postponing. Thank you for your understanding during this difficult time.

Sounds like a "canned" answer, written by some bureaucrats.

2 mins ago, MakoMike said:

Sounds like a "canned" answer, written by some bureaucrats.

I agree - I posted the question underneath a post where they were encouraging the public to get out and use the state parks. IMO if you can hike or recreate on state land why not open up the trout waters so kids can fish. Most of the state public access is on trout water.  Don’t even have to stock them. 

Whether they stock or not, I will he fishing SOMEWHERE on April 4th. I’ll go bass fishing or something. Just curious what the plan was for the trout. My kids would love to partake if they do go ahead and stock. 

I cannot speak to RI

But I can say for sure

Connecticut still has all 3 hatcheries functioning full bore 

As of Friday, things could change over the weekend but I know we're doing our best to keep functioning as long as is possible 

Hatchery staff is some of the only state working still at the facility, 

And there is talk ( if it's not official yet) of bumping up opening day 

Worst case scenario y'all can come over west and fish here 

I poked around in the DEM website this morning in hopes that there would be something; a note, article, etc, about the fishing season. Frankly, I’m dying to fish. Hopefully they just open the season like a few other states are doing. 

On 3/19/2020 at 10:53 AM, DZ said:

My buddies on the Cape are trout fishing year round. Opening Day is entirely overblown IMO