ChewyBrigantine

Conrad VS. troller

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

9 mins ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

sure does,,,will have some tonight!

she's gonna get dolled up a bit this weekend.

HH

:witty: You da man!!

:hi5:

Can't wait to see her!   :wee:

7 hours ago, JWM said:

Did Danny create the Conrad as well?

No I guy named Conrad created that plug. To fish RI breachway's. Someone got ahold of 1 and took it to Dan. I believe that's how the story goes?

1 hour ago, Haycreekrambler said:

No I guy named Conrad created that plug. To fish RI breachway's. Someone got ahold of 1 and took it to Dan. I believe that's how the story goes?

No direct knowledge but the long standing story thru the years was plug was built by Conrad Malicoat and found on the beach in Provincetown, Traps or Race Point area and brought back to Danny to reproduce

Posted (edited) · Report post

6 mins ago, ChewyBrigantine said:

That's a crazy story if True!

I was told by several high profile surf fisherman and plug makers from the Cape and NY. Names most all would recognize and respect.

Edited by SC

Posted (edited) · Report post

Danny named the Conrad after Conrad Malicoat of Cape Cod who was an artist and craftsman. Conrad originally made his own out of hickory hammer handles because he wanted something heavier to cast with powerful conventional tackle to get serious distance to fish the Second Rip at P-Town. A legend of the high surf is someone somehow got one or found one washed up on the beach, and it furtively made its way to Danny. However, truth is seldom as fabulous as legend, and more like Conrad simply asked Danny if Danny could make them. That had to be in the late fifties or early sixties. Over time, Danny made at least three sizes of Conrads. First, the Senior hammer handle rendition. Second, the Junior which because of its wider utility in more ordinary conditions was the most popular size. Third, Danny was "popularizing" the Peanut size circa the late mid-eighties as peanut bunker increased as a percentage of coastal baitfish biomass then. Getting back to the original, Danny Senior Conrad size is the largest and heaviest of the three sizes. It accounted for a lot of large-sized bass in its day. The Conrad was the deepest swimming of all Danny's plugs on a cast and retrieve (as opposed to trolling). A very slow action was required to get them deep and to keep them down. If you retrieved too fast, it would upset the balance of action. Super slow would cause a wide, rolling sweep from side to side that accounted for some very large bass.

Edited by Bassdozer

On 3/21/2020 at 6:52 AM, SC said:

No direct knowledge but the long standing story thru the years was plug was built by Conrad Malicoat and found on the beach in Provincetown, Traps or Race Point area and brought back to Danny to reproduce

That’s really cool. I fished Race Point in 1999 had a great night then lipped a bluefish when the sun was coming up.lol that was something I can not forget every time I look at my thumb..Haha

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 6:25 PM, JWM said:

That’s really cool. I fished Race Point in 1999 had a great night then lipped a bluefish when the sun was coming up.lol that was something I can not forget every time I look at my thumb..Haha

what in the world made you want to lip a gator?

HH

10 hours ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

you were in automatic fishing mode.

okay,you're good!

HH

I definitely was. I definitely never did that again.lol