ChewyBrigantine

Conrad VS. troller

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

This year I added a few conrads to my Arsenal to fish this season. As far as deep diving metal lips goes. Which do you guys prefer? Which ones work better in different situation? I've used trollers in the past with some success. 

Trollers seem to be a little more widely used at this current time. Now that I'm stuck self isolating I've been pondering this question for a while now. Any information would be greatly appreciated! 

-chewy 

I will give you my opinion as I used both for many years. I know many different makers have a version but I am speaking only of Danny;s ( not Lupo's) version of each. They are very different plugs that react very differently and while any metal lip is very "tuneable" I have found they work at different depths. They re usually made from completely different wood species and couldn't have much more different swimming actions to each other. Both are fantastic producers and fish have showed a non-debatable preference for one over the other many times in the past.

3 mins ago, SC said:

Both are fantastic producers and fish have showed a non-debatable preference for one over the other many times in the past.

So which one have you seen as the winner in your opinion? Or is it a something you'd prefer not to share. 

3 mins ago, ChewyBrigantine said:

So which one have you seen as the winner in your opinion? Or is it a something you'd prefer not to share. 

I could never pick one over the other as although there is an overlap in productive conditions the best conditions for each are dissimilar in my opinion. There are many variables such as rip strength and angle that also play an important role. I had both in the bag 100% of the time if using metal lips.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Something that helps to better understand these two plugs is that Pichney's Conrad and Troller are at opposite ends of the stability and fair to say, speed spectrum. The troller design results in it being able to be tuned to be very stable and to tone down destabilizing or spin-out whereas the Conrad design results in it being able to be tuned to roll very widely similar to a bunker flipping on its side - almost borderline unstable. Pichney's Slopehead, an offshoot of the Conrad modified the design of the Conrad further to roll even more widely like a bunker flipping action.

It's not wrong to fine-tune a Troller for fast water situations and/or fast rate of retrieve or boat trolling whereas a Conrad can be fine-tuned for slower combined water and angling speed - this does not imply a Conrad can't be used in fast water or rips - it can be strummed in a fierce rip or current - and with conventional reel, once the Conrad's driven down to its operating level, very easy to feed line out with finger pressure on the line or spool to "back-swim" the Conrad downtide, effectively swimming it away from you with finger pressure to modulate line speed to create desired level of metal lip pressure to keep the lure down and to activate the lure back-swimming at a rate slower than the current speed, and envision it as the plug tail being the head of the baitfish swinging round and swimming down with the tide, and you can get a hit at any time, which is usually manifested as your line suddenly peeling out madly - but get ready when it swings over to the seam and when it pops into an eddy - and you engage the reel so it does a 180 degree direction reversal and starts swimming the opposite direction (toward you now) with the plug head being the baitfish head now - is a high percentage strike moment.

BTW, a great troller color always was Pichney's rainbow - and it's a great Conrad color too.

Edited by Bassdozer

1 hour ago, Bassdozer said:

Something that helps to better understand these two plugs is that Pichney's Conrad and Troller are at opposite ends of the stability and fair to say, speed spectrum. The troller design results in it being able to be tuned to be very stable and to tone down destabilizing or spin-out whereas the Conrad design results in it being able to be tuned to roll very widely similar to a bunker flipping on its side - almost borderline unstable. The Slopehead, an offshoot of the Conrad modified the design of the Conrad further to roll and flip even more widely like a bunker action.

It's not wrong to fine-tune a Troller for fast water situations and fast rate of angler-imparted "usage speed" (retrieve or boat trolling) whereas a Conrad can be fine-tuned for slower combined water and angling speed - this does not imply a Conrad can't be used in fast water or rips - it can be strummed in a moderate rip or current - and with conventional reel, very easy to feed line out with finger pressure on the line or spool to "back-swim" the Conrad downtide, effectively swimming it away from you with a little finger pressure to modulate line speed to create desired level of metal lip pressure to activate the lure swimming a little slower than the current speed, and envision it as the plug tail being the head of the baitfish swinging round and down in the tide, and you can get a hit at any time, which is ususally manifested as your line peeling out rapidly - but get ready when it swings over to the seam and when it pops into an eddy - and you engage the reel so it starts swimming the 180-degree opposite direction with the plug head being the baitfish head now - is a high percentage strike trigger.

BTW, a great troller color always was Pichney's rainbow - and it's a great Conrad color too.

This makes me want to get a conrad.... Thanks for the quality comparison dozer!

thinking about the question,I love a troller[large] over almost all.

the slow waggle down 12 ft is a deadly fish tricker.

have worked wonders with one on the line.

they produce for me when nothing else will.

HH

42 mins ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

thinking about the question,I love a troller[large] over almost all.

the slow waggle down 12 ft is a deadly fish tricker.

have worked wonders with one on the line.

they produce for me when nothing else will.

HH

You know the best think about that large troller is the large bass! Donny Musso made a 2X large troller which caught 2X large bass.

I fish both, probably fish conrads more. I really like jr. Troller's, never found better swimming ones than Dan's tho. Beachmaster's Conrad's are the ones I've done the best with. Had a couple from Dave Anderson that swam well. Hab's too but you don't see them to often.

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, Bassdozer said:

You know the best think about that large troller is the large bass! Donny Musso made a 2X large troller which caught 2X large bass.

yes sir Mr. B,,I have an original that I repaired,it will see LDP fishing duty this year.

love them down deep and rollining them slow.

if there is a fish around there they slam it.

as for conrads,I never fished one but,do fish something similar,a gibbs or cooper goo-goo eyes big daddy,they get the job done as well.

HH

5e741b9b14173_HHPlugWerxLDP387.JPG.834a30d2877676d3646a30b4b7c0cf50.JPG

5e741ba8612e6_HHPlugWerxLDP410.JPG.4c7da08cc27c5a10c10665494ecfd3b9.JPG

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter