downset21

Stella 2019 feedback?

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

After reading Alan Hawks detailed breakdown of the 2019 Stellas, I started wondering if Shimano addressed the glaring problems that he pointed out.   He showed how a washer in the bail arm did not fit correctly and how there was so much play in the bail.  

Have any of you purchased a Stella in the past year and how has it performed for you?  Have the problems that Alan Hawk included in his video affected the reel negatively in your eyes?

So far, so good. The 2019 10k sw-c that I picked up in December probably has less than 100hrs on it, a few cobia and some snapper. It's not going to get worked hard until summer arrives.

I figure that’s the case with most of these given the relative short time they’ve been out.  Thanks for the response.  Did yours have that weird washer issue in the bail arm when it is open?

I really like my 4k SWC. There was some noticeable play and gear slap at first but it kind of went away. Maybe it needed some breaking in but it's crazy smooth now.

Only complaint is the obnoxiously big knob on a 4k, would've been nice if they had a smaller knob to go with the smaller spool and rotor 

53 mins ago, downset21 said:

I figure that’s the case with most of these given the relative short time they’ve been out.  Thanks for the response.  Did yours have that weird washer issue in the bail arm when it is open?

Bail is firm on my reel, no play at all.

4 hours ago, saltygator said:
4 hours ago, saltygator said:

Only complaint is the obnoxiously big knob on a 4k, would've been nice if they had a smaller knob to go with the smaller spool and rotor 

I've heard this complaint too. I don't own one of the reels, but was shown a 4k in a tackle shop by a salesman. He owned one. He said the handle knob was much too big - he found it strange, why so large. He thought the reel was otherwise excellent. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Fished a 10K SWC last fall, no problems, didn’t really put it to the test however. Ended up selling it for a Zeebaas as I already had 2 Saltigas and didn’t really need it. Picked up the new 6K size not to long ago, same exact feelings as saltygator...some small gear play that is made slightly annoying by the large handle (the knob is nice just way to big/long for a 6K) other than that the reel is smooth and appears very well sealed. The reels under 8K do not have a washer between the bail arm and rotor so I can’t speak on that issue. 

Edited by jk20a3

just got mine a few weeks ago and honestly i was worried about the washer and the play of the arm but after having it and looking at it for myself i haven’t had any problems with it! 

Mine has been solid so far.  I haven’t caught anything other than giant beds of seaweed in the canal but the reel winched them in.  It’s a lot of fun to fish with.

6 hours ago, Steg said:

That's infuriating.  I watched Alan's review and even emailed him.  He got back to me which was very kind of him to say that the reel was still worth getting.  Either way, perhaps Shimano should treat this like how car companies do recalls and offer free servicing to fix this problem.  Perhaps the problem is too hard to fix with the adding or removing of a washer.  

On 3/19/2020 at 2:12 PM, saltygator said:

I really like my 4k SWC. There was some noticeable play and gear slap at first but it kind of went away. Maybe it needed some breaking in but it's crazy smooth now.

Switch the knob, I'm considering swapping it with a Type B size M knob. You might get away with a Type A size M 19g compared to the Type B 25g

Im thinking about getting the 6k swc, would be using it for yellowtail once or twice per year but mostly on the beach for striper. Do any of you use it on the open beach? Think the swc could handle The sand?

8 hours ago, Ocg_89 said:

Im thinking about getting the 6k swc, would be using it for yellowtail once or twice per year but mostly on the beach for striper. Do any of you use it on the open beach? Think the swc could handle The sand?

If Saragosas and the Spheros SW hold up well then I see no reason the Stella SWC won’t. I wouldn’t swim with it or drop it in the sand but it definitely has the sealing to stand up to surf casting.