codfish

Time to support our local B/T Shops

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

Talked to my friend who runs my local B/T who said "not looking good for the shop surviving this business climate" time to help them out.

Not looking good for any local seasonal businesses in this climate. My wife and I owed a couple small seasonal businesses for over 20 years. It was very challenging, but we could always depend on a strong summer. I couldn't imagine going into a sumner season facing this sort of uncertainty?

gonna be tough to help them if there closing all beaches canal ect..gonna be no where to fish...no sense buying stuff to hang on the wall...people arent gonna have extra money to spend if most of the people cant go to work...gonna suck for awhile hopefully they can get grants or something to help them out

8 hours ago, bob_G said:

Not looking good for any local seasonal businesses in this climate. My wife and I owed a couple small seasonal businesses for over 20 years. It was very challenging, but we could always depend on a strong summer. I couldn't imagine going into a sumner season facing this sort of uncertainty?

Bob my friend said the same thing, not good.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Arlington B&T is the closest shop to me. I've been there a couple of times over the last week. When I stopped in last Sunday there was a mother with 2 kids there. Her son was saying how he's going to be fishing a lot while school is out. I saw another kid leaving the shop with bait and getting in his parent's car before I walked in.

I went fishing on Wednesday after work. I saw a couple of guys fishing with their kids.

I'm guessing there's going to be an uptick at some B&T shops, depending on location, while schools are closed and people are recommended to work from home.

Edited by zak-striper

Just a thought.Folks could go their local shop and pick up a grift card for future use.That will put some cash into the shops at this slow time.

However on a somber note, fishing is a recreational activity. Given the current predictions of economic gloom,  families are going to be almost as concerned about their financial health as their physical health. Any discretionary income might go to putting food on the table, and not for bait and tackle.

1 hour ago, theshadow said:

Just a thought.Folks could go their local shop and pick up a grift card for future use.That will put some cash into the shops at this slow time.

My girlfriend & I are doing the same thing for some of our favorite local restaurants. We're either doing take out, or buying gift certificates. I'd hate to see these businesses go out of business because of the flu scare.

I have friends who are either getting laid off, or if they are self-employed, losing work.

My gym is closed for the near future. The physical therapy office I was going to is temporaily closed. Even the hair salon where I get my hair cut has closed. They canceled my hair cut this week. I can't find any open barbers near me. So much everyday, local business, is on hold, and losing money. I'm not sure if I'll be able to go to my eye doctor anytime soon. My contacts are running out any my prescription needs to be renewed.

All these little things, multiplied out to everyone that's "social distancing" adds up a financial/economic hardship for so many people.

13 mins ago, zak-striper said:

My girlfriend & I are doing the same thing for some of our favorite local restaurants. We're either doing take out, or buying gift certificates. I'd hate to see these businesses go out of business because of the flu scare.

I have friends who are either getting laid off, or if they are self-employed, losing work.

My gym is closed for the near future. The physical therapy office I was going to is temporaily closed. Even the hair salon where I get my hair cut has closed. They canceled my hair cut this week. I can't find any open barbers near me. So much everyday, local business, is on hold, and losing money. I'm not sure if I'll be able to go to my eye doctor anytime soon. My contacts are running out any my prescription needs to be renewed.

All these little things, multiplied out to everyone that's "social distancing" adds up a financial/economic hardship for so many people.

How will you ever survive without going to your gym, PT, getting a hair cut and renewing your contacts?? Third world problems for sure.

Posted (edited) · Report post

7 mins ago, iputmyhoursin said:

How will you ever survive without going to your gym, PT, getting a hair cut and renewing your contacts?? Third world problems for sure.

What I said was when you multiply that out for everyone, including you and whatever businesses & services you can't access right now because they are closed, that it adds up to a lot of lost business & income for a lot of people.

Edited by zak-striper

Do not shot the Messinger I fish the Raritan Bayshore and coastline on down to Ocean Grove. Just along the Bayshore, there are ( 7 ) yes Seven so-called Bait and Tackle Shops. seen some come and go. over some 65 years. We all have our favorite shops for whatever reason.   And hate some. I look for a friendly Hello and good service fresh bait & good pricing Answer the phone without any attitude   Out of those 7 shops, there are IMO and experience there are but 3 that I stop at and One on a regular base.  On down to OG stopped going years ago. My Point now that a few see hard times coming and want support should have thought of that when times were good. 

The Horse left the barn years ago with Wallmart - Amazon - ( F ) Dicks People will always fish but how many of those 7 will be left this year. That depends on how they handle the Public. Sorry for the Soap Box I will support those who supported me 

5 hours ago, bob_G said:

However on a somber note, fishing is a recreational activity. Given the current predictions of economic gloom,  families are going to be almost as concerned about their financial health as their physical health. Any discretionary income might go to putting food on the table, and not for bait and tackle.

Bob with all respect. I've seen more Dads with the kids fishing sweet water than ever. Dad out of work, kids out of school. I really don't think they are there for a father/son fun, the juvenile is oblivious. Dad wants a meal for the family as you stated. Power bait, mono, dried shrimp, lead , swivels etc is bait and tackle. Thanks.

19 hours ago, codfish said:

Talked to my friend who runs my local B/T who said "not looking good for the shop surviving this business climate" time to help them out.

A lot of B&T related buisnesses get a big shot in the arm by doing the winter fishing expos, the biggest (IMO) is Rissa.  It was scheduled late this year and then cancelled.