Voo31

Info on Non-damaging Reel Grease/Oil

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

Hello all, I'v spent a good portion of my afternoon today looking around and reading the many intelligent posts about self servicing reels, particularly Van Staals. I recently came across some info that mentions how synthetic lubricants can damage the silicone seals on the VS reels, and I was wondering if this is true? I lack good technological skills and couldn't find many threads on the topic though I sure there are some out there. Please let me know if you have any info on the topic I'd greatly appreciate reading it. Just looking for a dependable grease/oil combo that wont damage the VS seals 

I don't think grease/oil will damage silicon seal. Manufacturers will not risk their own product in doing that.

Some good grease/oil were mentio here in the thread, all depend on personal preference.

I use 80w90 gear oil in mine. Now I can’t remember if I used the synthetic or plain old stuff. I think I tried the synthetic stuff and the seals leaked, switch over to regular stuff and no leaks. Maybe it was just me. 

If it has petroleum distillates in it, it will eat your seals. I learned this from working on airsoft guns back in the day, which all use some form of rubber seal/o ring. Always used pure silicone oil/grease on them. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Depends on the material of the seals and O-rings.  You need that info before making a decision.  I don’t know for sure but I would guess VS uses a variety of material depending on the seal or ring???  

Edited by FoliFish

1 hour ago, FoliFish said:

Depends on the material of the seals and O-rings.  You need that info before making a decision.  I don’t know for sure but I would guess VS uses a variety of material depending on the seal or ring???  

I believe they make their O-rings from silicone? My main concern is the largest seal around the gear box

So no Lithium or petroleum then, thanks for the tip! Unfortunately thats the only type of non-synthetic grease/oil I can find at the moment :huh:

Seigler uses Tefgel for grease and WD40 for oil on all of their reels.

After some experimenting with other products with undesirable effects,

I switched back to their recommendation and it’s back to like new.

tbyrd, interesting. It means that tef gel doesnt get dissolved by WD, like ordinary greases do.

I think you`re on track of some future ways.

On 3/19/2020 at 10:57 PM, glos said:

tbyrd, interesting. It means that tef gel doesnt get dissolved by WD, like ordinary greases do.

I think you`re on track of some future ways.

x2, I never realized there was so much to think about with the seemingly simple act of greasing a reel.Thanks everyone for the input

Yes, and it wouldn`t be if only manufacturers made reels tight enough for gearcase oil filed casing.

That doesn`t mean water tight level seals, but more loose.