Fishing in Florida for a month

Rate this topic

ksong

1 hour ago, striper1524 said:

thanks guys didn't want to get there and it turns out to be a sh***t show because the information the airline gave me was wrong 

The airline decides which rod you can carry on and which you can’t.  Every airline has it’s own rules which are published on their web site. I looked at American Airline wen site and they limit to about 4 ft. Some airlines may ignore and allow you an extra foot and some may not. So suggesting that the information the airline gave you is wrong is absolutely the wrong assumption.

Edited by levari

Here are TSA regulations on tackle for carry-on

Fishing rods are permitted in carry-on and checked bags; however, passengers should check with the airline to confirm that the fishing rod fits within size limitations for carry-on items.

Sharp fishing tackle that may be considered dangerous, such as large fish hooks, should be sheathed, securely wrapped, and packed in your checked bags. Like other high-value objects, you may wish to pack expensive reels or fragile tackle that does not pose a security threat (small flies) in your carry-on bags.

9 hours ago, ksong said:

They sell rod sacks which covers guides if you are concerned about damage of guides. I wrap the tip guides as most damages are done on tip guide section. 

With all do respect I flew about 85 flights in 2019 so i have some experience. A rod sock is not going to protect a guide from “Jonny need my headphones” midflight lugage adjustment. 

Sometimes there are better options than a black hole rod. A real travel rod like a St. Croix in a carry on travel tube or checking a hard rod tube in checked luggage are both better choices than what you are suggesting. 

Edited by ged

For traveling, 4 pieces rods are better, but it doesn't have same action as two pieces rods and joint can be a weak point. 

So I am reluctant to develop 3 - 4 pieces rods.

But who knows if there are lots of demand. :)

Edited by ksong

Jet Blue 
I put my rods , reels and hooks in my check in bag.  Also my knife, clippers  and so on.  If you carry them on , TSA takes them .  If you get to the TSA and they don’t except them?   Then it’s a pain.  The other thing, if you have a small suit case and you get to the gate and there is no room overhead, you can gate check it  Free.   You see the cart with the bags right outside the door before you enter.  Those bags come off first most of the time . 

Never had any issues with my check in rods. You just need to wrap the guides and the tip with bubble wrap or some other protective material, and make sure the rods are not siting tight inside the Bazooka.

TSA in US always allow reels to be carried on.

Edited by levari

10 hours ago, ksong said:

For traveling, 4 pieces rods are better, but it doesn't have same action as two pieces rods and joint can be a weak point. 

Just like the joint in two piece rods can be a weak point compared to 1 piece rods and affect the action. 

I am glad you recognize this. :) 

Fish the keys many times. 4 piece fly rod in tube. Tackle, all sharp stuff in check in bag. Carry on bag has reels. For me, it’s easier to hit bass pro and grab a 7 ft ugly stick for $50. Comes with a reel, I never use that and bring my own Stradic,with spare spools. I give the rod away to someone, like a kid before I leave. The ugly stick works great for kayak and bridge fishing. It’s one piece. Had several Tarpon on it in December. I would rather a nicer rod but I too am wary of 4 piece rods. All my present rods are 1 piece. Not good for traveling. I would definitely look at a Black Hole 4 piece if there was one.

8 hours ago, turkaholic said:

Fish the keys many times. 4 piece fly rod in tube. Tackle, all sharp stuff in check in bag. Carry on bag has reels. For me, it’s easier to hit bass pro and grab a 7 ft ugly stick for $50. Comes with a reel, I never use that and bring my own Stradic,with spare spools. I give the rod away to someone, like a kid before I leave. The ugly stick works great for kayak and bridge fishing. 

I have started doing this too. My last trip I left the rod with some kids at a pier. I would rather have a black hole rod in 4 piece format!

Almost no matter what I won’t break the ugly stick. If I broke a black hole or one of my saint croixs I’d cry.

On 4/2/2020 at 7:47 PM, ksong said:

ksong i hope you change your mind and develop one i think there is a demand for one. I went to st croix site and they have a nice travel rod.I have all one piece rods so going to get some 50/50 split rods two. I to would buy a blackhole travel rod 

1 hour ago, striper1524 said:

ksong i hope you change your mind and develop one i think there is a demand for one. I went to st croix site and they have a nice travel rod.I have all one piece rods so going to get some 50/50 split rods two. I to would buy a blackhole travel rod 

I am still reluctant to develop 4 pieces surf rods.  I might test telescope rods soon as some member like them.  

Meanwhile, I suggest to bring your favorite 9' or 10' two piece surf rod (50:50 split ) as carry on if you don't like to use 4 pieces rods like me. I didn't have any damage issue of guides yet.  In fact, guides were damaged and tip of rods got broken on my last flight when I checked in the rod case and they opened wrong place for the inspection even I marked instruction. 

20190305_104025.jpg

20190305_104032.jpg

Edited by ksong