codfish

Squid fever 2020

Rate this topic

112 posts in this topic

When I fished for squid on the north shore in a harbor years ago, high tide  was always much better action than low. However, I don't know if that would be true everywhere. 

On 6/2/2020 at 4:48 PM, bdowning said:

When I fished for squid on the north shore in a harbor years ago, high tide  was always much better action than low. However, I don't know if that would be true everywhere. 

Second this. High tends to yield better but it depends. Squid can get closed lipped as well. The bigger the school the more competitive they are. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 6/2/2020 at 3:22 PM, Teambeefmaster said:

Let me be clear I have no idea what I'm doing.   But I did catch some last year at night at a local spot,  enough for bait for the rest of the year.  So I have an idea on how to catch them.  And I'm looking for pointers if I'm on the right track.

I've since bought an underwater light (green blob) and some nice squid jigs.   But the spot I'm squidding in upper BB seems dead.  Lots of small fish, no squid.  Maybe im not leaving the light on long enough....  maybe the squid have moved out of the harbor area I'm at....  I dont know.  Does high vs low tide matter at night?

It's just like fishing, sometimes they are there, sometime not, they might be biting and maybe not. Who knows. Just try to learn the proper technique and you will find them. Some time it is slow enought that. You will see 1 squid caught every 5 min between a group of people. Doesn't mean they arent there. Here is a bonus chart I found years ago.

20160616_001028.jpg

Edited by foxfai

On 5/16/2020 at 8:00 PM, bob_G said:

One of our fav ways to eat them is aglio e olio with ground squid.

Make your classic aglio e olio using lots of garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, parsely.  Grind up your squid in a food processor until it's the consistency  of rough hamburg.  Fry in the olive oil mixture and serve over linguini.  Now I just have to go catch squid.

If I lived nearby, I'd wander over and take cooking lessons from you.

On 6/22/2020 at 0:00 PM, codfish said:

Not sure but the squid hounds like them:laugh::laugh:

104685405_250364716266723_7337293269514842203_n.jpg

104794018_2905499642892261_2659150941636419865_n.jpg

Nice boat. That’s fishing. Adventure, true adventure involves a certain element of the possibility of death. My hats off to you sir. There was a time but that was long ago.