codfish

Squid fever 2020

Rate this topic

112 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, codfish said:

I saw them at Dicks in the close out bin for cheap:) where I dive we see lots of squid and sad to say they don't swim like the savage video

Next time you see em for cheep, let me know! I have a plan to fish these and expect them to be awesome! 

And I 100% agree, these “3D squid molded from a squid body...bullshi+ bullshi+ bullshi+” probably don’t swim like real squid, but I still  think there going do draw a bite! 

Think about sp minnows! They 100% don’t look like a bait fish swimming, but man do they get slammed! 

Wherever you dive, it sounds awesome!  I would have killed to see something besides lobsters and rocks when I was at it. 

10 hours ago, tailspin said:

Next time you see em for cheep, let me know! I have a plan to fish these and expect them to be awesome! 

And I 100% agree, these “3D squid molded from a squid body...bullshi+ bullshi+ bullshi+” probably don’t swim like real squid, but I still  think there going do draw a bite! 

Think about sp minnows! They 100% don’t look like a bait fish swimming, but man do they get slammed! 

Wherever you dive, it sounds awesome!  I would have killed to see something besides lobsters and rocks when I was at it. 

Here is squid swimming "Cape Cod" also the best match I have found:)

41220202.JPG

107043989_a83e5c2e7f_z (1).jpg

They look great, but, as has probably been mentioned before, the hooks appear to be iffy when used at the Canal. I could easily envision them straightening on even a moderate sized fish. 

4 hours ago, bdowning said:

They look great, but, as has probably been mentioned before, the hooks appear to be iffy when used at the Canal. I could easily envision them straightening on even a moderate sized fish. 

Canal :) you mean these, yellow fin tuna hook

P1180077Hook600x290 (1).jpg

7 hours ago, bdowning said:

I took a few pics for ya:) bottom hook is for blue fin tuna top hook yellow fin or school blue fin:)

4222.JPG

One night last year, i had a plan to jig buck tails and softplastics at a semi-difficult spot to get to. After an hour of no luck, bass began slurping squid in close on a shallow shelf next to the deep water I was working. I fortunately had one unweighted Slug-Go in the bag. The hits were close and ferocious with fish in to the low 20 lbs. The close quarters fights made quick work of my Slug-Go so I started ripping plastics off my jigs to put on the unweighted hook. Hurley rat tails, Ron z, Slug-Gos all produced even with the blunt heads from being cut for jig heads. 

Pencils, Polaris poppers, needlefish, darters, bucktails, and soft plastic jigs all have a place in the squid imitation tool box but for me the best imitation is a 6-12” unweighted (or slightly weighted) soft plastic. However, they are limited by their castability and shallow running depth.

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, Pescador710 said:

One night last year, i had a plan to jig buck tails and softplastics at a semi-difficult spot to get to. After an hour of no luck, bass began slurping squid in close on a shallow shelf next to the deep water I was working. I fortunately had one unweighted Slug-Go in the bag. The hits were close and ferocious with fish in to the low 20 lbs. The close quarters fights made quick work of my Slug-Go so I started ripping plastics off my jigs to put on the unweighted hook. Hurley rat tails, Ron z, Slug-Gos all produced even with the blunt heads from being cut for jig heads. 

Pencils, Polaris poppers, needlefish, darters, bucktails, and soft plastic jigs all have a place in the squid imitation tool box but for me the best imitation is a 6-12” unweighted (or slightly weighted) soft plastic. However, they are limited by their castability and shallow running depth.

You are spot on:)Sluggos, Ronz, Hurley when on squid :):):):)

Edited by codfish

5 mins ago, codfish said:

Fishing brackish water the other day:) Pike have never seen a squid in there life:laugh:

13225010_1030961006980450_867098506_o.jpg

Ok that's pretty cool, was this in MA?

32 mins ago, Sandbar1 said:

Ok that's pretty cool, was this in MA?

Yup:) my secret spot came through, but I went again and they blocked the access until the virus is over.