robc22

Making a ribb rake

Rate this topic

74 posts in this topic

Awesome video, my question is why is the basket not wire dimensional with the gauge size for little necks  .  Be easier sorting in cold weather 

5 mins ago, Vaporizor said:

Awesome video, my question is why is the basket not wire dimensional with the gauge size for little necks  .  Be easier sorting in cold weather 

State regs requires the ribs on the rakes to be 15/16" or smaller.......DMF wants you to gauge your stuff by hand........

Ribb Rakes are by far one of the best rakes around, along with Sand eel rakes and other shell fish products . Maggie is a long time family friend and is a person that ensues assuring that any thing you purchases from her and daughter  is of the best quality . If you need a rake for what ever reason new or repaired they do the best to make sure you are a happy camper when you leave the shop. They also do special jobs when it come to types of handles . wood or aluminum and the lengths as well. They also will modify your basket from the start and make it wider or longer  then normal . She made a special sand eel rake once that was so wide I had to cut some of the bar off in order to lift it out of the water when loaded with sand eels . Good People to the fishing community

I'm totally piss at them...I made sand eel rakes for years for all the shop on cape an over the bridge and rakes three feet wide for guys dragging behind a boat  till one day I went to see ron about knocking the heads off bolts rather then sawing them off..,I made the big mistake of bringing a rake in with me..he asked I could leave it for a day....then I find out he copied them and started flooding all the shops with theirs...nice guys my butt.

47 mins ago, capesams said:

I'm totally piss at them...I made sand eel rakes for years for all the shop on cape an over the bridge and rakes three feet wide for guys dragging behind a boat  till one day I went to see ron about knocking the heads off bolts rather then sawing them off..,I made the big mistake of bringing a rake in with me..he asked I could leave it for a day....then I find out he copied them and started flooding all the shops with theirs...nice guys my butt.

Steve as you know Ron took his own life back in another time and perhaps what happened with you is unfortunate , that I can agree with.  I am on the other hand speaking of his wife and daughter that had to take on the business to survive , which they were able to do, surely he did not copy all of the other rakes they now make for the clamming folks . It may be time for a little forgiveness, His wife and daughter should not be accountable for what Ron Did to you so many years ago .  Peace and Prayers 

Ron gave me a nice deal on that custom rec rake he made for me. However I've had the rake retoothed a couple times since, and they're not bashful about price. In my memory serves me, it was $10 a tooth. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

ice pick tines came in boxes of 500 @ .05 cents each....made in RI.......a little acid core solder an done...easy fix.

6' ash rake handle 5.65 @, came in a  box of 12.

Edited by capesams
info.

22 mins ago, bob_G said:

Ron gave me a nice deal on that custom rec rake he made for me. However I've had the rake retoothed a couple times since, and they're not bashful about price. In my memory serves me, it was $10 a tooth. 

The last time I spoke with Maggy about the ice picks she uses they were made in Germany , where she also purchased them . The ice picks from Germany were better made then the local ones. or so i was told .

5 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

The last time I spoke with Maggy about the ice picks she uses they were made in Germany , where she also purchased them . The ice picks from Germany were better made then the local ones. or so i was told .

I'm not talking about ice pick teeth for sand eel rakes. I'm talking about retoothing a quahog rake.

30 mins ago, bob_G said:

I'm not talking about ice pick teeth for sand eel rakes. I'm talking about retoothing a quahog rake.

Nice to see some clarity to your post . Steve assumed you were speaking about a sand eel rake as that is where the conversation between Steve and i was at before you posted yours . :howdy: Peace and Prayers

When Rob started this thread, the video succinctly showed the Ribb Co manufacturing quahogging rakes. I was contributing to the topic of building and retoothing said rakes, and not sandeel rakes.