OPSteve

Will Assateague Stay Open

Rate this topic

59 posts in this topic

Just like the title says, Will AI be open over the next few weeks/months? Has anyone heard?

I’m confident I can effectively practice social distancing on AI...

The wife and I was just having this conversation last night as we usually go down to Chincoteague early May for a few days to celebrate our anniversary and do a little fishing....Right now we are holding off on booking a place until see what happens with both the restaurants and NPS.

Yeah I saw that earlier today. Thanks for staying on top of this for us. 

In about a week or so I plan on spending more time out there :howdy:

I guess that means no OSV permit purchases.  Never took off my expired tag from last year. Hopefully they'll be flexible if there is no way to renew it. 

1 hour ago, steve maranto said:

I guess that means no OSV permit purchases.  Never took off my expired tag from last year. Hopefully they'll be flexible if there is no way to renew it. 

I think you can renew the pass by mail on the Maryland side. 

Actually, I just got off the phone with the ranger station. No permits by mail anymore. No internet permits. No permits at all until the ranger station opens back up. No leeway either. If you don't have a valid OSV permit, you can be fined. This isn't right! I hope AMSA steps up & gets into this. 

41 mins ago, AI GUY said:

Actually, I just got off the phone with the ranger station. No permits by mail anymore. No internet permits. No permits at all until the ranger station opens back up. No leeway either. If you don't have a valid OSV permit, you can be fined. This isn't right! I hope AMSA steps up & gets into this. 

No worries. We can just go to the Outer Banks....oh wait nevermind, it is closed to visitors.  

Well, That settles that. I need a new permit. Looks like I'll have to just fish Delaware till somthing happens there. On A.I. we'll just have to do some walking, at least till they close the whole Island.  Glad I have my own dock on the river , I won't close it down. Just not into freswater that much.

1 hour ago, AI GUY said:

Whoa!..was the person you talked to named "Dana" by chance?
Sounds like someone going out of their way to be unpleasant.Not a typical interaction at all from my experience.
Picture id and vehicle registration in person has been AIOSV permit policy for as long as I can remember.
But if a permit isn't available I doubt if a fine for not having one would seem appropriate.to anyone with authority.You can e mail the superintendent for real info..
Anyway....Thanks to all for the updates
Please stay well!

I'm glad I got mine in Jan. 

Common sense would say they won't fine anyone with an expired tag... I hope they won't anyway for those that haven't had a chance to get one. 

See you out there!

10 mins ago, Possum said:

Whoa!..was the person you talked to named "Dana" by chance?
Sounds like someone going out of their way to be unpleasant.Not a typical interaction at all from my experience.
Picture id and vehicle registration in person has been AIOSV permit policy for as long as I can remember.
But if a permit isn't available I doubt if a fine for not having one would seem appropriate.to anyone with authority.You can e mail the superintendent for real info..
Anyway....Thanks to all for the updates
Please stay well!

I didn't catch his name. Really nice fella and not unpleasant at all. I asked if I could slide my info under the door or email it or something & he said their computers arent even up to issue permits. 

4 mins ago, OPSteve said:

I'm glad I got mine in Jan. 

Common sense would say they won't fine anyone with an expired tag... I hope they won't anyway for those that haven't had a chance to get one. 

See you out there!

Common sense used by a government entity? Nah. We don't do that here. Haha

16 mins ago, AI GUY said:

I didn't catch his name. Really nice fella and not unpleasant at all. I asked if I could slide my info under the door or email it or something & he said their computers arent even up to issue permits. 

If AINPS is going to fine folks in the osv with expired permits like the "nice fella" that you spoke with said they would...
A lot of folks will end up changing their plans
IMO the person that you spoke with may have been misrepresenting AI policy in a very hurtful way
A fine for not having a permit that is not available makes no sense.