Striper46

Float bags

10 posts in this topic

Anyone use float bags in a outback? Looking for a little more floatation in the stern, my kayak seems to sit low in the back. Won’t mind them in the front either if helps brings the nose back up after a dive. Tia 

4 mins ago, saltfisherman said:

Giving this a bit of thought and the options. 

Pool noodles

factory kayak float bags

car inner tube

bicycle tube

dry bags

These would probably do the trick and cheap 

A43C80E9-535E-43A2-808E-654D1DAA8136.jpeg

Yeah, these solutions will very marginally decrease flotation until you flood because they will ever so slightly add weight. Any gear you bring will slightly make the hull sit lower. 

I'll admit it's kind of pointless to even bring that up but as @cheech pointed out. They will help maintain floatation but won't add any. 

15 mins ago, cheech said:

None of that stuff will float the yak any different, it only helps if your hull is flooded.

This is very true. It’s funny I had put those ideas up and minutes later thought, that won’t make them float higher. 

Those wedge shaped float bags can be important to the guy in a traditional kayak. In addition to adding flotation to a capsized/flooded kayak, placed in the stem and stern compartments, they limit the amount of water that can enter the kayak.

I always use float bags for safety in any kayak that can flood and sink.  As other have said you won't gain any float while above water.

I used to use float bags in my whitewater kayak.  IF the guts of you kayak are open and you don't use a bonnet, put something in there.  Especially if you concerned about getting back into inlets or surf launches / landings......  One good splash are you still got more coming..........

not only does it add floatation, It displaces water that can be in there.