EricM

Hobie Outback 2019 Bent Rudder

21 posts in this topic

Not sure how it happened. On the way in, back to the launch, I noticed my outback wanted to keep making a hard left every time I released the rudder controls. 

Beach it, flip it over and notice my rudder looks more like a spoon than a rudder. Not really impressed... don't recall hitting anything. 

The question is, does anyone know of a metal aftermarket rudder? Or fiberglass? I was wondering if a surf shop could make me a replacement out of fiberglass or something, might have to explore that. Not much comes up in online searches. 

4 hours ago, EricM said:

Not sure how it happened. On the way in, back to the launch, I noticed my outback wanted to keep making a hard left every time I released the rudder controls. 

Beach it, flip it over and notice my rudder looks more like a spoon than a rudder. Not really impressed... don't recall hitting anything. 

The question is, does anyone know of a metal aftermarket rudder? Or fiberglass? I was wondering if a surf shop could make me a replacement out of fiberglass or something, might have to explore that. Not much comes up in online searches. 

Rudder stored flipped up and over (flat) with bungee cord secured over it and carrying handle trapped under the rudder? Then left in sun to bake into that position? ;)

Yak stored belly up in the sun yes. No bungee but interesting point none the less. 

I may try to get creative with some diy fiberglass, especially since I can't leave the house. 

Take a look at the product called kydex. They use to make holsters and knife cases. It’s moldable with heat and rigid when cold.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

Isn’t it under warranty? If not you  could remove it, clamp it between two cauls, and place it near your heating boiler/ furnace. No clamp, set it between two books and place something heavy on it in the middle.

8E12CE66-C7AE-4CAF-92E7-5EB9343AB39A.jpeg

Edited by cheech

Just want to get more info...New outback? Worked fine on the way out but not back in? The material in this rudder is super durable but can get bent a little in high heat and under pressure. The heat gun and a little flexing will probably get you back to normal faster than going to the dealer.

Yeah I think Brad is right. The sun may have deformed it enough to where the friction of the water after hours of use pulled it further out of alignment to where it was noticeable. 

I might use the heat gun as a quick fix but in the long term I'm going to try to come up with a non melt able solution. 

This is a 2019 with the through hull design not flip up rudder correct? Is there a bungee to hold it down or just a cable to rudder drop lift control? So upside  down sitting in the sun  there is nothing to stop it from warping really? It might just be a defective one that is prone to  heat of sun, and might always return  to that warped shape after heating and playing with it, I would ask the dealer first. Still the question remains was it warped after sitting upside down in sun and you just didn’t notice on way out , not sure  how it could warp in use. I love stainless  and it might be  option but I would see if they replace it first.....jack

Cable drop lift control yes. 

Stainless would be sweet but I'm not really set up for metal work. 

I've done minor fiberglass stuff in the past. I'm thinking wood core with 2 sheets on each side, cut and sand it to shape. Pretty cheap investment so if I screw up I can throw it away. Let's see if I make time to follow through but if I do I'll post pictures here. 

Hey thanks Al, 

I happened to watch this yesterday and that's pretty much the process I plan on going through just without buying a spare pro angler rudder. 

In its current state it's operational but super annoying. 

I would think a heat gun on low would be safe if you take it slow. I’ve also used boiling water inside of kayaks to pop out dents, so maybe there is a way to use hot water after building some sort of wooden frame to push the rudder back into shape.