Aaron Barmmer

Can shimano please make a waterproof surf reel ?!?!

Rate this topic

51 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, C.Robin said:

I've heard this throw off balance and causes reel wobble. Haven't seen it myself, but I also don't want to sacrifice my gosa to find out lol.

Yeah don’t do that...I tried it years ago on a cheap Fin nor, it was horrible.  Rotors need to be balanced accordingly. 

On 3/16/2020 at 0:08 PM, glos said:

Model

14 BULLs EYE 5050

Max Drag (lbs.)

Line Capacity (lb-yds.)

30lb

Features

Aluminum Spool

Gear Ratio

4.3:1

Ball Bearings

Weight (oz.)

Fishing Type

Saltwater Fishing

Fish Species

All Saltwater

Line Retrieve/Crank (in.)

84cm

Hand Retrieve

Right or Left-Handed

That weight should be 19oz +

17 hours ago, Local66 said:

You're operating under some powerful assumptions. I have no issues swimming with my stella, or my tranx, or my saltiga. None of them have had to have their handle replaced twice in one season either.

Not making any assumptions here. I'm glad you've had good luck with your reels. Fish how you want and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. But I'm also not going to agree that any of the reels you listed will stand up to saltwater intrusion the same way a vs will. They are definitely fine tuned, beautiful machines but for the purposes of swimming and underwater reeling the vs/zb reels are still the flagship choices on the market.

6 hours ago, Sandbar1 said:

Not making any assumptions here. I'm glad you've had good luck with your reels. Fish how you want and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. But I'm also not going to agree that any of the reels you listed will stand up to saltwater intrusion the same way a vs will. They are definitely fine tuned, beautiful machines but for the purposes of swimming and underwater reeling the vs/zb reels are still the flagship choices on the market.

You can call it whatever you want, I've owned both, both fell short. 

On 3/17/2020 at 0:52 PM, Local66 said:

I'll never own another VS. The stiffness, the line lay, the drag, there isn't a single feature of that reel that doesn't fall short. 

Hate being negative but thats been my experience with them also. I will give them credit for being waterproof in most cases. In addition, service costs and parts are off the charts, you pay more for an extra spool than I would pay for a new Shimano or Daiwa reel.

Penn seemed to miss the boat on this one, should have waterproofed the 706Z and been done with it. Folks loved the reel forever, just needed it sealed, instead they designed a new reel that looked like something out of the future and it never caught on, not sure if was the design or if it didn't perform up to expectation.

I will agree the market is not big enough for major companies to take on the troubles associated with the demands, much like waders, the make them cost a fortune and they still suck.