Aaron Barmmer

Can shimano please make a waterproof surf reel ?!?!

Rate this topic

51 posts in this topic

18 mins ago, ozifish said:

By having a couple VS"s the servicing issues for weeks and weeks waiting for it to return is solved

This is true but it still sucks.  I’ve had 8 van staals during my surfcasting career and not one of them have made it threw a whole season without issue. Still love them but Van staal with shimano service would be a great thing! 

4 hours ago, Aaron Barmmer said:

This is true but it still sucks.  I’ve had 8 van staals during my surfcasting career and not one of them have made it threw a whole season without issue. Still love them but Van staal with shimano service would be a great thing! 

I have had 3 VS reels but no more.Other brands out there that will do the job

VS needs to come back to the US, at least the VSX line. I mean look at comparable priced flagship reels, Stella (Japanese quality), Saltiga (Japanese quality), Zeebaas (USA quality), Penn Torque (USA quality), Okuma Makaira (not very well known but fully forged. Taiwan while “technically“ China is very different from the mainland where Okuma is based)...then you have VS which is still very high quality but for the price and pride of ownership when I flip it over and see China on the back of the reel foot it just feels cheapened. Again not in ruggedness as I use my VSX150 and 200 all the time, but when they moved production overseas it’s not like the price went down...it went up. 

6 hours ago, pakalolo said:

VS, that is all!

Agreed can't find a better reel for the true surf fishing environment.

I didn`t understand that bailless thing, until I started bashing ( sort of ) on the rocks. Now I`m just glad that my reels have thick solid aluminum bail wire.

15 hours ago, C.Robin said:

Gosa, spheros and Stella are sealed at every entry point. They're more than sufficient for 90% of the surfcasters out there. I just wish they made em bailless.

Snip snip with some wire cutters

I can’t believe they havent ventured into a ‘ reel me, swim me underwater’ reel. Could be that an Asian company isn’t interested in a small segment of American surf fishing.

Imho Shimano could lighten up, speed up, and increase the line capacity of many of their sub-$300 models.

I'll never own another VS. The stiffness, the line lay, the drag, there isn't a single feature of that reel that doesn't fall short. 

Wet suiting and deep surf casting is a dying sport now in the South Shore of Massholia and the Cape.   

There's no longer a need for it.   That window has now closed since the Taxman has taken up resident.   

5e71272098a00_great-white-shark_thumb.ngsversion.1498145420427.adapt_1900_11.jpg.fefe1e340177a77ae7a7afa51e08b1b4.jpg

39 mins ago, flylikabird said:

Wet suiting and deep surf casting is a dying sport now in the South Shore of Massholia and the Cape.   

There's no longer a need for it.   That window has now closed since the Taxman has taken up resident.   

5e71272098a00_great-white-shark_thumb.ngsversion.1498145420427.adapt_1900_11.jpg.fefe1e340177a77ae7a7afa51e08b1b4.jpg

Sharks are a myth. Fake news. All sunfish sightings!