Aaron Barmmer

Can shimano please make a waterproof surf reel ?!?!

Rate this topic

51 posts in this topic

Shimano has by far the best service in the game on there high end reels.  30$ for service and back within a few days!  Why don’t they make a surf reel?  I love van staals but every time I send one out for service it takes weeks and weeks to get back and costs more the 100$.  Total BS!    Please shimano make a surf reel! 

Posted (edited) · Report post

shimano_bulls_eye_9120_fixed_spool_reel_1.jpg.cc8545cce6b89da43ab2dd361e1dd1ef.jpg

Shimano Bull's Eye 9120 Fixed Spool Reel

Model: 9120.

Gear Ratio: 3.5:1.

Max Drag: 20kg.

Weight: 540g.

Spool Size: 76mm Dia / 35mm Stroke.

Line Capacity: 40lb (0.520mm) - 240m.

Line Capacity: 48lb (0.570mm) - 200m.

Braid Capacity: PE8 (45kg) - 200m.

Edited by glos

Model

14 BULLs EYE 5050

Max Drag (lbs.)

Line Capacity (lb-yds.)

30lb

Features

Aluminum Spool

Gear Ratio

4.3:1

Ball Bearings

Weight (oz.)

Fishing Type

Saltwater Fishing

Fish Species

All Saltwater

Line Retrieve/Crank (in.)

84cm

Hand Retrieve

Right or Left-Handed

Shimano makes a waterproof reel. It is called Stella SW

Edited by ged

2 mins ago, ged said:

Shimano makes a waterproof reel. It is called Stella SW

Some of their other reels a very water resistant too ... I've ducked them all many times over the years :) 

I do, simply because I have seen a bunch of zee bass and zb's break.  I found a Shimano stradic in the ocean siezed up. I soaked it in water for a while and it was fine used it for a year and then got it serviced. It was a mess. and used it again for another season no issues service was less than my zee bass. 

Shimano X-protect is their feature for water resistance. I’m not saying it’s as good as a VS or ZB, but it is still pretty good. If your primary concern is splashing this should fill the bill. If you are dunking, probably not so much.

I mean yeah the Stella is obviously $$ but not that much more than a VS, it definitely wont hold up to rock bashing but it's pretty damn well sealed to the point they advertise it being reeled underwater. But then again any bailed reel wont hold up to rock bashing. But if your just surf fishing a Stella (at least the newer SWB and 2019/2020 SWC) is technically waterproof. The biggest concern is how it handles the sand in the wash, those that actually go skishing or swimming with their reels is pretty slim and for those guys VS and ZB(maybe gen1 torque) is about it. With the Spheros/Gosa being pretty well sealed as well I'd say its Daiwa who needs to up the surf reel game as even with the new once piece bodies they insist on putting magseal in everything, which has proven effective but not for our sandy wash. Give me a conventional sealed Saltiga(like the old Z) or Certate and I'm buying instantly.

Edited by jk20a3

Gosa, spheros and Stella are sealed at every entry point. They're more than sufficient for 90% of the surfcasters out there. I just wish they made em bailless.