MassChampionFisherman

Fishing set up help

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Guys i am so disappointed i got my birthday presents ordered i got a okuma longtitude 10 foot spinning rod, okuma coronado cdx60 40# braid and i was casting some 3-4 oz lures and they were not going far at all. Is there something wrong with this setup or is it me? The rod is a bit stiff idk if thats good or bad but its not casting as far as i need it to cast. Please help this is all i can afford rn i am so pissed

The rod probably has something to do with your issue. I think the 10' Longitude is a pretty heavy rod, rated for 3-8oz? So when casting 3-4 oz lures you are on the low end of the spectrum... It's probably difficult to load this rod with a 3oz lure. If you can, I would exchange it for something lighter. If you need to stay in the Longitude lineup, I'd go with the 9' rated for 3-6oz, still pretty heavy, the ideal Longitude rod to throw lures (under 3oz) might be the 8' rated 0.5-3oz. Depending if you want to throw chunks of bait (you could keep this rod) or throw lures, I would get something rated for 0.75-3oz 2-4oz or maybe even 2-6oz.  Tica medium-heavy 9' UEHA or sometimes even the UGSA Dolphin surf rods are affordable and offer some of the best performance for the price you pay. Both models are (over)rated for 2-6oz. I say overrated because I wouldn't throw anything 5-6oz with them.

I don't think it's the reel's fault. On the plus side this reel has Slow Oscillation which should help cast a little farther. The spool may be a littler shorter than other reels this size but that should make that much of a difference. It seems like a good reel but DO NOT DROP IT IN THE SAND OR DUNK IT IN SALTWATER. The only thing that is sealed is the top drag knob.

I have this reel but bought it for fishing from the bank for channel catfish and sturgeon. Haven't used it yet.

I just took my 11' Longitude out to test it out and it threw 6 oz and a bunker head pretty well. It definitely is a heavy and stiff rod. I think that's your problem regarding distance.

The Trophy Surf II is a pretty cheap rod that may help your cause. I would say the 9' 1-4 or 10' 1-5 may be what you're looking for.

Hope you get sorted out for throwing plugs. 

I'll let the sharpies give you advice.

Keep us posted!

Yea I’m new too but I have this rod as a hand me down from my father with a Battle 6000. It’s really stiff. Throwing 3oz is basically impossible. Bought a Tica Surge MH 8’ for back bay and I am happy with it so far.

1 hour ago, MassChampionFisherman said:

Thank you for the responses guys i just filed a return with amazon and am being credited $50 back, i am gonna put a little extra money into one of the recomended rods

I have chunking rods at 10' and plugging rods at 10'. You can find one that does both half ass but you really need seperate outfits, or in your case really just one appropriate one. I use St Croix rods in the fresh and salt for lures exclusively and I know that can be costly, but maybe look on Facebook for a deal or even on this site. I bought an 8' triumph for $80 off someone from here a couple weeks ago for back bay plugging. Can probably can a 10' mojo surf for like $125 if you haggle well. Otherwise tsunami makes some affordable outfits that would suit you

Posted (edited)

hey im looking into the tica surf 9 foot, the 10 foot is an extra 30 bucks, in terms of distance throwing plugs and jigging metal lures is it worth the extra 30? On average if you had to guess how many extra yards? other opinions on this rod? mojo surfs are way to expensive for me right now my max i can go is 100 dollars and i dont have a facebook to buy used rods. 

Edited by MassChampionFisherman

15 hours ago, Sevendust111 said:

Yea I’m new too but I have this rod as a hand me down from my father with a Battle 6000. It’s really stiff. Throwing 3oz is basically impossible. Bought a Tica Surge MH 8’ for back bay and I am happy with it so far.

I fished an 8 foot rod out  front last fall.  It's perfect for the current state of the fishery. 

13 hours ago, MassChampionFisherman said:

hey im looking into the tica surf 9 foot, the 10 foot is an extra 30 bucks, in terms of distance throwing plugs and jigging metal lures is it worth the extra 30? On average if you had to guess how many extra yards? other opinions on this rod? mojo surfs are way to expensive for me right now my max i can go is 100 dollars and i dont have a facebook to buy used rods. 

start with the 9 foot. My first surf rod was a tica 9 foot rod. 

Posted (edited)

16 hours ago, MassChampionFisherman said:

in terms of distance throwing plugs and jigging metal lures is it worth the extra 30?

Don't go with the 10', you will have the same problem you had with the Longitude. The 10' Tica UEHA surf spinning is rated 2-8oz (like all their 10' models I think).... that is too wide of a range for lure weight rating... I'll brake down the Tica models for you, from most expensive to less:

UGSA Dolhpin TC3 (Fuji reel seat and all guides are also Fuji, 30T carbon) I found that on the 9' MH rated 2-6oz that it is tip heavy because of the guide sizing...wont balance right with your Coronado CDX60 Even a Penn SSV6500 won't balance it right...

...not sure about the guide sizes on the medium rated 9' version (1/2-3oz), could email Tica with that question.

UEHA Graphite TC2 (APS graphite  reel seat and Fuji tip top guide and Tica titanium oxyde ring guides, 24T carbon) I have both 9' models the M rated 1/2-3oz and MH rated 2-6oz and I love them both. I you want to throw 3-4oz lures I'd get the 9' MH. I like this series of Tica rods alot.

UKGA Surge TC1 This model surf rod is of lower quality, well...for the reel seat at least. The reel seat is metal and not graphite, will damage your reel seat over time and wont stay put has well as a graphite reel seat. Don't like the reel seat at all....Guides are ok, blank is ok. I only have the 7' Medium model which is a 2 piece. I would choose the 2 models mentionned above over this one. For this model the 9' MH is only rated 1/2 to 3oz... which makes it a medium?

UMGA Surf TC2 (graphite reel seat and 24T carbon) These rods are nice but heavier than other models (weight and you defenitly feel it when casting over and over). I think they have higher percentage of fiberglass in them. When I compare my 8' UMGA to the 8' UEHA, the UEHA is much lighter, much nicer to handle. The guides are also very fragile...

From what I understand... My suggestion to you would be the UEHA 9' MH rated 2-6oz UEHA527402S

(be carefull when you order that you dont order anymodel number that finishes with a C instead of S because that means Conventional and not Spinning)

Edited by SurfFishDan

If you have something rated 1-4 oz or so that will cover your needs. You're using as little as an ounce out front at times with a forgiving rod, you can still dip down to 3/4 oz

I have the 11' okumo rod, it's 3 to 8 oz. I use it for soaking bait. When I use it ,I'll use 4 oz or 5 oz and cut bait. I use a Penn BTL 6000 on here with 20 # mono. cast pretty far for me using this wieght .