robc22

A "real" zombie apocalypse........

Rate this topic

168 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, jason colby said:

... some of the outbreaks of H1N1 in the past two decades were far more deadly and far more widespread than this coronavirus outbreak and yet the media is "pumping it" no less than 10 times as hard. What has changed?.....

Well in that instance, what has changed is that we now have the Republican administration in power.   Back in '09 it was the Democrats. 

Media/press/talking heads are, like you say,  pumping C19 for al its worth.  Why?  Well, it's obvious. It's for political purposes.  

H1N1 began abound Spring of '09.  Only after 6 months later, after 1,000 deaths, did Obama finally declare a public health emergency.   And during the buildup to the 1,000 deaths you heard nothing from the administration or the 4th estate, nada, zip, zero.  No shutdowns, no mass hysteria.  

11 mins ago, Joe G said:

Well in that instance, what has changed is that we now have the Republican administration in power.   Back in '09 it was the Democrats. 

Media/press/talking heads are, like you say,  pumping C19 for al its worth.  Why?  Well, it's obvious. It's for political purposes.  

H1N1 began abound Spring of '09.  Only after 6 months later, after 1,000 deaths, did Obama finally declare a public health emergency.   And during the buildup to the 1,000 deaths you heard nothing from the administration or the 4th estate, nada, zip, zero.  No shutdowns, no mass hysteria.  

So they are shutting down other countries as a political strategy in the US?

20 mins ago, Joe G said:

What are the political gains here?  The entire world’s economy is screwed right now. It’s not just a republican or democrat issue.

Posted (edited) · Report post

10 mins ago, z-man said:

What are the political gains here?  The entire world’s economy is screwed right now. It’s not just a republican or democrat issue.

I'm just offering a reply to Jason's question...."what has changed".

Edited by Joe G

14 mins ago, Ba Ba Buoy said:

So they are shutting down other countries as a political strategy in the US?

Not wittingly, but when as Jason points out, "they pump it", there is a risk in doing just that.  

1 hour ago, Joe G said:

Whoa.....gotta step in here, Bernie.

"It" wasn't before those things you just outlined  It was last year.  34,000 died from the flu last year, 61,000 died from the flu in the previous year.  12,000 H1N1 deaths, 10 some years ago.

Why no press/media hysteria, chicken little, sky is falling, fear mongering statements from Fauci at that time?

Yet, 60 to date deaths from C19 brings the USA to its knees.  Why do you think that is?   

Ahhhhhhhhhhh social media????????????????????

2 hours ago, DAQ said:

I'm with RC and JC, I see much of what is going on regarding the Wuhan to be over reaction. The media is continuing to drive the foolish hysteria and it doesn't look like it's going to slow for some time. There is no reason to crush our economy and adversely effect billions of peoples lives. 

Well......No one's buying shellfish.....My dealer's markets were in Boston and New York. They are not going to buy clams and oysters if they cannot sell them as the idiot governors closed all the eateries. Same for local farm raised product.

Waitresses, bar tenders, hostesses out of work. Function halls closed and wedding's canceled.

School bus drivers not working.

Produce, meat companies and their employees in trouble. 

Truck drivers getting laid off.

The list just goes on and on.........

27 mins ago, Joe G said:

Not wittingly, but when as Jason points out, "they pump it", there is a risk in doing just that.  

If they are "pumping it," as you say, I would think it's motivated by gathering viewership not a left wing political conspiracy. When your in a foxhole with someone, political alignment isn't an issue, survival is. I'm not saying politicians aren't reflecting on how this pandemic situation might benefit them somehow, clearly they are. I just don't think it even approaches the level of consideration that C19 (vs a common Flu) is all just some hoax for political gain. This is as serious a situation as the CDC & WHO says it is, minimizing the gravity of the current situation can potentially elevate the problem to where we absolutely never want to see it get. 

To those still comparing this to the regular flu and argue that the flu kills a lot more, you are 2 weeks behind and need to do some serious learning to understand where we are now. This virus is not like the regular flu (although some symptoms may be similar) - it is about 20 times more deadly for the elderly and those with preexisting immune system issues. If you are an average healthy guy, you have nothing to worry about if infected. But if you still visit elderly relatives, you will most likely infect and kill them, that's all.

Why the current hype? To slow this thing down to save some lives and buy time before the ICU beds all fill up. It can't be stopped, but it can be slowed. Regular flu kills 50,000 Americans? This will kill over a million Americans when/if it spreads. There really shouldn't be any confusion or disagreement on this, but I'm still amazed to see the "what's the big deal?" posts from people. They are misleading and they weaken the current effort for people to chill out and not spread this further by socializing.

5 mins ago, tj7501 said:

To those still comparing this to the regular flu and argue that the flu kills a lot more, you are 2 weeks behind and need to do some serious learning to understand where we are now. This virus is not like the regular flu (although some symptoms may be similar) - it is about 20 times more deadly for the elderly and those with preexisting immune system issues. If you are an average healthy guy, you have nothing to worry about if infected. But if you still visit elderly relatives, you will most likely infect and kill them, that's all.

Why the current hype? To slow this thing down to save some lives and buy time before the ICU beds all fill up. It can't be stopped, but it can be slowed. Regular flu kills 50,000 Americans? This will kill over a million Americans when/if it spreads. There really shouldn't be any confusion or disagreement on this, but I'm still amazed to see the "what's the big deal?" posts from people. They are misleading and they weaken the current effort for people to chill out and not spread this further by socializing.

More hype.

4 mins ago, DAQ said:

More hype.

I'd call it conjecture. "Hype" suggests he wants it to happen. Nobody wants bad things to happen or get worse. The question is what is the appropriate response. Politicizing it, isn't helping. You have to keep worst case scenarios in mind with your actions right now. Hype and politics has nothing to do with it.  

3 mins ago, tj7501 said:

Good post . The reality of this virus has not as of yet come to a place where it is on a down side from being recovering nation wide. However once all of the testing gets into full swing, we may well better understand the full implication it will have on every one living here in the United States Now . These precautions are for a good reason .

The Gentleman from Sandwich , who also is a long time canal rat is presently in ICU , while his wife is recovering at Home . None of us really know who will eventually get it , but if it can be slowed down , by taking the steps outlined by most Governors and the CDC , some of us that [like myself . who has fought the death angel three times in my life] May be lucky enough to not come in contact with this virus and go on to live what life we have left with out pain and suffering.  Every one is allowed to have there own opinion on this virus , but given what is known at present we still remain in the dark as to who and when it will strike some one in your home . I do know we have been doing a lot of praying for those who have been affected .   Peace

2 hours ago, Ba Ba Buoy said:

The difference being, that you are looking at the Flu's final tally per year. You can't compare a before with an after. Being at the tip of the iceberg, the fallout from not taking full preventive actions involves the deaths of millions not thousands.

Billions will be lost either way, not taking drastic measures will likely result in the loss of a large portion of elderly and the medically compromised. To your point... IT'S NOT GOOD! We aren't faced with a choice of good or bad at this point, it's down to bad or worse. Minimizing damage is our full focus now, not so much for the young and healthy among us but rather to protect the more fragile... as we should.  

The bottom line is the eventually everyone, or almost everyone is going to get the bug. What the politicos are doing now is just trying to spread it out over time so medical facilities don't get overwhelmed.

1 min ago, MakoMike said:

The bottom line is the eventually everyone, or almost everyone is going to get the bug. What the politicos are doing now is just trying to spread it out over time so medical facilities don't get overwhelmed.

These are the very concern that most Americans should also have going forward until we do know the full impact of how we will be affected long term . each of us may well be challenged to some degree and how our immune system responds will determine our individual outcome . WE can win or we can lose the battle .

Well after all that, I am doing my very best and abiding by all the information out there to protect myself.

But unlike the media's continued negative focus on the 2-3+% "kill" rate, I'd like to look at it as a 97+% survival rate.