Livefreeordie

Who Wants to Build a Rattler?

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

I wanna build some fresh and saltwater rattlers. Seed already has, so I asked for some advice, which he freely gave.It occurred to me that this might be interesting to other plug builders. So, I started this thread. My prototype is pvc trim board, true 3/4" thick. Maybe this can be the Who Wants to Build a Rattler Thread?

I actually fished in daylight today, and had a friend hold phone and shoot 11 seconds of okay video.

IMG_3123.JPG

2 hours ago, Wire For Fire said:

Looks absolutely killer . Tracks true with a sexy lil waggle .. I’d love to hear more 

I can tell you what I did, and when I attempt freshwater ones, I'll revisit this thread and tell about that. You can see my side profile.The top profile stays almost 3/4" wide around line tie (except for rounded edges) and tapers slightly to the nose, gradually backwards, down to 3/8" at the tail. I rounded off the belly side to pretty much semi-circle. I assumed correctly the flat top would help the swim action.

I pulled a preformed loop up into a recess on the belly, the wire went up the thru hole. The I bent the line tie loop, and forced 1" tag end back into the hole. Then I pressed down, so that the hook hanger loop was low enough. I filled one end with 5 minute epoxy, flipped it, and filled the belly hanger recess with 5 m epoxy. The tail hook hanger is a haywire twist, and I placed it where I did for stability during swim action and because the store bought ones are like that. I feel it gives the tail hook/feather a realistic look when swimming nose down.

Mine has three .28 oz lead balls, one on each side, front/back of the belly hanger, and one under the eyes. A bucket test then had it stand up at about 45* on it's nose. Originally, the frontmost lead ball was .17, but the bucket test showed me this wouldn't stay down like I wanted. Fortunately, PVC doesn't shatter when you just change drill bits and widen a hole.

I'm definitely gonna improve my rattle. This time, I was mostly worried about swim action. But, I drilled a pilot hole straight thru. The I went 1/8 or so deep on each side with a wide paddle, then all the way thru with a narrower paddle. I cut two circles the diameter of the wide paddle out of a plastic bottle, and super glued one in place, flipped the lure and poured 8 bbs in, then I super glued the 'lid' circle of plastic. Next time, I'll cut them out of sheet metal. I filled the rattle hole with wood filler, but will use bondo next time.

Finally, I sealed with epoxy and 1x primer and attached hooks. I like the way it swam so I'll finish the 4 other blanks I have ready, but with improved rattles. I attached a 2-o treble and 5-0 siwash, I found that a 3-o treble could have tangled with the tail hook.

Ask if you have any questions, please. And thanks again to seed who shared info. I'd been afraid to pull the trigger on this, but a little guidance got me over the hump

6 hours ago, Livefreeordie said:

I wanna build some fresh and saltwater rattlers. Seed already has, so I asked for some advice, which he freely gave.It occurred to me that this might be interesting to other plug builders. So, I started this thread. My prototype is pvc trim board, true 3/4" thick. Maybe this can be the Who Wants to Build a Rattler Thread?

I actually fished in daylight today, and had a friend hold phone and shoot 11 seconds of okay video.

IMG_3123.JPG

Dude that looks great man. Great job bud. I'm glad I could help brother. You're definitely on the right track with it. Keep it up man. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I've got a few more started. Just installed the rattles: 9 bbs, this time I cut out sheet metal discs as lids. I'll bondo over the hole tomorrow

IMG_3125.JPG

IMG_3132.JPG

SOL post (3).JPG

Edited by Livefreeordie
me lern to yuse compooter

Figured I'd jump in and post my rattletraps and how I do mine. They're a great plug in dirty water and around peanut bunker. I've done very well with them over the yrs. I cant take credit for being the 1st with these though, I got the idea to try them when I saw a jmac post many yrs ago with one of his rattletraps in it and thought it was a sick idea. 

Mine I weight slightly different than livefreeordie does, I do mine with 3 weights in front of the belly hook and only run a single belly hook. The line tie and belly hook is a thru wire set up and I use 2 metal plates recessed in the azek as the caps for the rattle chamber. Weight size will vary depending on the size bait I'm making. Smaller 4-4.5" ones get 3 1/4"x5/16" slugs and my larger 5.5-6" ones use 5/16"x3/8" slugs. 

Heres a few examples. The picture with the lines is how mine are done, the black lines are the weight locations and the angles in which I drill em and the red line is the thru wire. 

20200321_232601.jpg

20200303_225500.jpg

20200303_225507.jpg

20200303_225516.jpg

20190129_152534.jpg

heres a way to build rattles that’s suited to poppers and spooks. On this one I drilled a 5/16” hole 1” deep in the tail (it was previously tail weighted), slid in a 3/4” piece of brass tubing, dropped in two 1/4” ball bearings, plugged it with a piece of 5/16” dowel, then trimmed the dowel, faired it with KwikWood and sanded it to shape. I don’t suppose the tubing is really necessary, and it would probably be louder with a heavier single weight, and I can think of a couple of ways to through wire, using an egg sinker sliding on the wire as the rattle, but this is the first thing that popped into my head and it. Seems to work pretty well.

58DC0F0E-7AC2-4E11-AE0D-915EFD4FC434.jpeg

22F4F50F-DB1F-46F7-B35F-821A1340B588.jpeg

F423E007-2E6B-4691-B7DE-D9C96F945C3E.jpeg

F34ACD23-7D25-4A70-8C90-C113585D317D.jpeg

I gotta start using the dowel plug trick...I can think of a few applications were it would work better than other fillings.

I painted the rattlers. Will epoxy this coming weekend. Also, I plan on cutting out freshwater/smaller rattler blanks tomorrow.

IMG_3144.JPG

Posted (edited) · Report post

28 mins ago, madcaster said:

does the rattle really work as it swims.....anyone ever try to hear it under water  ....just curious 

Oh the rattle on the rattletrap most definitely works as it swims. In my pool when I was first dialing mine in, while standing on the ladder I could hear the bbs smacking against the steel plate. Definitely could hear the chh-chh-chh as its swimming. I've also done a rattle chamber in some of my handcarves and same deal it rattles while its swimming.

Edited by seed420

I make no claims about the rattling noise attracting fish, but I know vibrations do and that those fw Rat L Traps catch very well (IDK if they catch because of vibrations, appearance, noise, or combo)

I do know sounds travels better in water than air, so I ASSUMED the lure made noise while swimming. It's good to get seed420 feedback tho. I FEEL like there may be occasions where extra sound attracts fish

Like everything else on in this forum, we are all either showing off our new cool toys, or helping others to build a new cool toy.

I painted, epoxied, and put hooks on the rattlers. I also started a run of 3 for fresh water sized ones, which I intend to throw in lakes and in salt when I see peanut bunker late summer. I'll post pics of the minis soon, but they were a geometry problem, getting enough weight, rattles, and thru wire in such a small lure. When I've built something 10x, I can drill holes in the rectangular block of wood. But on newer models, I wait until I have the body done at least to cutting out the side profile. These would have split if they weren't cellular pvc

IMG_3154.JPG

IMG_3155.JPG

For these minis,I ripped some Azek to a 5/8" or maybe 9/16" thickness, and went with 2 balls of lead .17 oz. The rattle is weak, 4 bbs in a hole plugged with a circle cut out of a tin can lid, sealed with epoxy. I can hear the rattle, but I don't think it willbe heard by fish 100yds away. I've only test for sink rate in a bucket, so far. As far as the hooks, I will put a size 2 vmc on the belly, and a flag on the tail. I don't have any single hooks that are small, sturdy, rustproof enough that won't tangle with the belly treble, and I think 2 trebles is overkill. But, how they swim (will test next week after epoxy seal and prime) will determine what hooks get used.

IMG_3156.JPG

IMG_3157.JPG