tdeaton25

Amagansett & Gardiner's/Napeague Bay Fly Fishing Help

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Hey All - new member here and live in NYC. 

I am going to be renting a house in Amagansett at the end of March & beginning of April and wanted to see if anyone has any tips/spots/recommendations to wet a line in this general area.

Also, any recommendations on fly selection would be really helpful too. I've never fished this area, but figured Clousers & Deceivers were a good starting point.

Thanks! Tight lines out there!

Edited by tdeaton25

3 hours ago, tdeaton25 said:

Hey All - new member here and live in NYC. 

I am going to be renting a house in Amagansett at the end of March & beginning of April and wanted to see if anyone has any tips/spots/recommendations to wet a line in this general area.

Also, any recommendations on fly selection would be really helpful too. I've never fished this area, but figured Clousers & Deceivers were a good starting point.

Thanks! Tight lines out there!

A little early, but as with every spring, smaller outflows, dark mud bottoms, anything that imitates a mumachoug or a silverside should be the call for smaller fish. But adult bunker should also be around. If there’s lilacs try something pink thin and long for weaks. 

Thanks Mike - any names or locations of freshwater ponds, etc? Just not familiar with the area. Gotta pack the 5wt just in case!

thanks again for the help!

It's still early but be mindful of the ticks if you go shore fishing.  Remember DEET has been ineffective for me, I use permethrin treated boots, etc. if I go east of Rt. 110.  And the ticks are crazy bad east of the Canal.  Some may think it may wreck the seams of waders, etc., but I'd rather have leaky waders than the protein allergy.