Steve_M

Mako bilge pump

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I have a 1976 mako 19. It doesn’t have a bilge pump. I was wondering if anyone knows if I need to add one or the self bailing will take care of it. I want to add one and the bilge has a bulkhead where I can’t get a Discharge hose to the side. I can come up through the deck and run it over the transom. I know that’s not the right way to do it. But I’m hoping I won’t need one. I do plan on leaving it in the water.

58 mins ago, ColinF said:

You 100% need to put a bilge pump in with a float switch, especially if you are keeping it in the water

Ditto the above. 

One option is cut a hole in the liner on the side to access discharge install and cover with a pie plate.  I'd probably opt for your option.

You definately need one.  My friend's 19 Mako has sank more than a couple times in its slip because his battery ran down.  I would suggest rigging a solar charger to keep the battery topped off as well.

I might have to come through the deck at the stern. There is a what I call a bulkhead to both sides from bow to stern so it leaves a 2 foot  void down the keel of the boat. There is no way I can get the hose to discharge out the side

What you are calling the bulkheads sound like your stringers, look closely they should have left a cutout in it for the bilge hose. 

10 hours ago, Billybob said:

What you are calling the bulkheads sound like your stringers, look closely they should have left a cutout in it for the bilge hose. 

Thank you tor your help. When I get over to the boat I’ll check. I’ll get back to you

You're not inventing the wheel. Go to one of the big Mako owners websites and ask them, I'm sure several people have done it on that exact same boat.

On 3/16/2020 at 7:15 PM, Steve_M said:

Thank you tor your help. When I get over to the boat I’ll check. I’ll get back to you

I have the same boat, a '79 19 Mako.  I can send pictures if you need them in a few weeks when I undo my tarps for spring. 

I have two bilge pumps, one on both side of the stringer and I've run the hoses through the deck in the starboard stern over the transom, works great.  I dry store the boat so I don't have a float switch, but I intend to get a slip next year and will have to rewire and setup a float switch. 

Definitely add a bilge or two... you're running a 40 year old boat that tend to be much heavier than a 2000's one. 

7 hours ago, Wizumz said:

I have the same boat, a '79 19 Mako.  I can send pictures if you need them in a few weeks when I undo my tarps for spring. 

I have two bilge pumps, one on both side of the stringer and I've run the hoses through the deck in the starboard stern over the transom, works great.  I dry store the boat so I don't have a float switch, but I intend to get a slip next year and will have to rewire and setup a float switch. 

Definitely add a bilge or two... you're running a 40 year old boat that tend to be much heavier than a 2000's one. 

That would help. Thanks. I was thinking of doing the same