Livefreeordie

2020 Fish on Custom Wood!

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

We're 2.5 months into the year, so let's get the ball rolling.

Last night I got a few up to 32" with the old beat up mini darter. Things heated up when I tied on my new mini needle. I wasn't even sure the lure would entice fish, but it did, up to 40". Had a little trouble unhooking one, a little skin and the whole glove had to come off.

IMG_3106.JPG

IMG_3107 (2).JPG

IMG_3108.JPG

IMG_3110.JPG

IMG_3112 (2).JPG

IMG_3114.JPG

Fish of that size in March is awesome! I haven't even put the crap in my truck yet, but I may have to soon with reports like that.

Hope the hand that was in that glove came out OK.

Weird night. The fish weren't at the ambush spots or in the current. They were gently slurping minnows off the surface, 20-40' from shore. The mini needle got attention most casts, absolutely crawling it with occasional twitches. The fish would not touch soft plastics/jig head. I had 10 taps per hook up, landed about 1 out of 3 hook ups. It was like lmb fishing: waiting to feel anything strange, setting the hook like a viking, and reeling like a maniac so the fish didn't throw the hook. I set the hook on drifting marsh grass a few times. Eventually, I got the hang of it, took a picture of one. The mini needle catches, as long as I go slower than is comfortable.

IMG_3136.JPG

IMG_3135.JPG

John (Habs) Haberek said that "when you fish a needle, slow down...then slow down some more, then, some more and when you think you're going to fall asleep, hold on."

21 mins ago, ADTR14 said:

Perch found a few

D356FC3C-9768-4B5B-9786-0AF59CF11347.jpeg

Must have been fun, because I'm assuming that pretty perch patterned lure is a howdy/spook topwater? Nice!

4 mins ago, Livefreeordie said:

Must have been fun, because I'm assuming that pretty perch patterned lure is a howdy/spook topwater? Nice!

Yes sir!

The new Secret Weapon took a couple last night. I'm always skeptical of new designs. This one casts great, holds in current, does some darting, but mostly just wobbles a little. Whether or not it turns out to be a productive lure remains to be seen, but it felt good to break its ice:

IMG_3143.JPG

IMG_3120.JPG

Tonight's biggest was about 32" and taken in strong current that rises over rubble where an inlet narrows. I'll be damned if this fish didn't jump after it took the mag darter imitation. I find this to happen on occasion in shallows with good current.

IMG_3159.JPG

IMG_2381.JPG

1 hour ago, stripercrazy said:

yeh nice water temp is 45 here in rhody. i wait to 50 generally to start, 55 there hitting spooks

Yeh, rivers and bays here: hot early spring action. Summer time: too hot for action, CT people invade RI. While that is mostly joking, it is enjoyable to live in an area where the rivers and bays hold a lot of winter fish. The New Haven harbor has been over 50 degrees several times, already. What I'm seeing is schools of fish being at places 2 weeks earlier than past years. 2 weeks ago, at the spot I was last night, I would have caught 10 fish. I went back because I knew I'd catch some, and the wind would be manageable. It worked, but I noticed I've been spoiled, because part of me was frustrated only catching 5 fish in 2 hrs, noticeable smaller, too. The one in the picture was the only decent sized one hunting in current. The others were stalking minnows, and I had to absolutely crawl a tiny needle to get them to tap, hook up ratio 1:6