codfish

Saltwater fishing licences are up

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Just read an article that states one of the few bright spots is the increased interest in salt water fishing for 2020, is this a good thing??

If more interest means more licenses = more $ towards conservation

I'm looking forward to getting my new SB plate by the end of the year = more conservation

Isn't that what we want at the end of the day - healthier stock of striped bass that we can fish for into our 90s:)

3 hours ago, yemslave said:

I'm looking forward to getting my new SB plate by the end of the year = more conservation

Isn't that what we want at the end of the day - healthier stock of striped bass that we can fish for into our 90s:)

"I'm looking forward to getting my new SB plate by the end of the year = more conservation"  I might have to pull the trigger on one of these:)

3 hours ago, yemslave said:

But they DO NOT spend the money on conservation! They squander it on irrelevant things like boat ramps and fishing piers over water that has nothing but crabs and skates left....

What good is that?

When they implemented the saltwater license (first in The USA) in California back in 2007, "they said" they would use the money for enforcement and conservation. Within one year they diverted the money into "The General Fund" (AKA: The Black Hole) and nothing was ever done for the people paying the extra money. 

So far in Massachusetts, we have seen nothing but deteriorating opportunities for saltwater fishing since the license fees have been collected. Do you (or anyone else here) see something different? What?

56 mins ago, jason colby said:

So far in Massachusetts, we have seen nothing but deteriorating opportunities for saltwater fishing since the license fees have been collected. Do you (or anyone else here) see something different? What?

One third of the permit fee is dedicated to preserving and enhancing public access to saltwater fishing opportunities.  How can that not open up opportunities for saltwater fishing?

35 mins ago, Joe G said:

One third of the permit fee is dedicated to preserving and enhancing public access to saltwater fishing opportunities.  How can that not open up opportunities for saltwater fishing?

Here is why more people will fish "eat fruits, veg and add fish to your diet" from the experts :)

1 hour ago, codfish said:

"I'm looking forward to getting my new SB plate by the end of the year = more conservation"  I might have to pull the trigger on one of these:)

I'm waiting on mine.  Only in Ma. Pre paid, in Oct '19. A month ago, everyone got a notice but me. Found out they mailed it to the wrong address. In spite of the fact I was among the first to apply, learned I'll be lucky to see it by the end of the summer.  Almost a year for a license plate. Such a deal.:banghd:

57 mins ago, codfish said:

Here is why more people will fish "eat fruits, veg and add fish to your diet" from the experts :)

And my saltwater fishing license was free and old man perk thanks mass.

3 hours ago, Joe G said:

Please give me one example of a "meaningful opportunity" that has been opened up with these "new funds"????… It has been nine year now that they have been collecting. What (other than a few docks) has "increased opportunity and access"?

They have collected over $10 million in "new funds". We could build all the new docks for less than $500K (5% of what they collected). Where is the benefit to us?

5 hours ago, jason colby said:

But they DO NOT spend the money on conservation! They squander it on irrelevant things like boat ramps and fishing piers over water that has nothing but crabs and skates left....

What good is that?

When they implemented the saltwater license (first in The USA) in California back in 2007, "they said" they would use the money for enforcement and conservation. Within one year they diverted the money into "The General Fund" (AKA: The Black Hole) and nothing was ever done for the people paying the extra money. 

Boat ramps are not irrelevant to people with boats 

8 mins ago, blacklabnh said:

Boat ramps are not irrelevant to people with boats 

I have a boat. The point is that we got $500K for $10 million. Not a fair expense on our part...

27 mins ago, jason colby said:

Please give me one example of a "meaningful opportunity" that has been opened up with these "new funds"????… It has been nine year now that they have been collecting. What (other than a few docks) has "increased opportunity and access"?

They have collected over $10 million in "new funds". We could build all the new docks for less than $500K (5% of what they collected). Where is the benefit to us?

When you say "we have seen nothing but deteriorating opportunities for salt water fishing since the license fees have been collected",  that statement is difficult to square with the fishing access improvements that have been made, such as building and maintaining public access fishing piers, repairing and improving boat launches and ramps, securing and maintaining shore-side fishing areas, and grant monies for improvements to fishing access.

27 mins ago, Joe G said:

When you say "we have seen nothing but deteriorating opportunities for salt water fishing since the license fees have been collected",  that statement is difficult to square with the fishing access improvements that have been made, such as building and maintaining public access fishing piers, repairing and improving boat launches and ramps, securing and maintaining shore-side fishing areas, and grant monies for improvements to fishing access.

What is the point to a new fishing pier when the only thing you can catch from it is crabs and skates?

What "improvements to fishing opportunities" are you referring to?

Please clarify!

2 mins ago, jason colby said:

….What "improvements to fishing opportunities" are you referring to?

…....fishing access improvements that have been made, such as building and maintaining public access fishing piers.(Oak Bluffs, Wilbur Park, South Shore Drive, Cashman Drive, Deer Island), grant monies ( City of Beverly, Lynn, New Bedford, Town of Marshfield ).