ghost

Cornavirus impact on outer banks

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

Week away form my two week stay in Avon and I was wondering if there is any impacts on the OBX areas that I should be aware of??? 

Hope all is well and everyone stays healthy 

No cases reported in Dare county but a number of local events have been cancelled due to crowding concerns and there are some visiting restrictions for the hospital in Nags Head. I would check obxtoday.com just to be sure. 

I did ask a rental company there whether their cleaning procedures had changed between rentals and their reply was:

"Our current cleaning and sanitizing policy will remain in effect, we are confident that the job currently being done is to the best of our cleaners ability."

I don't know if that helps at all. 

Avon sounds like the perfect place for "social distancing" IMHO.  Although, I have a feeling the fish would do their best to stay 2 meters away from me...

I got an e-mail from our rental agency stating that they were enhancing their cleaning procedure following WHO recommendations..  I’m so worried about it that I need to go out there to gat as far away from it as I can!  The fact that Cape Pount is beautiful and has good fishing is purely coincidental.

I arrive on Saturday 3/21 and I was wondering about the effects of this virus on the availability of supplies and if there are certain things I should be bringing with me. Are groceries available? Is FooD Lion stocked and open?? How about the restaurants ?

Any special prep or things I should bring with me? I will be staying two weeks in Avon.   THANKs

Posted (edited) · Report post

from todays obxvoice:

Dare county to end visitor access today

In response to updated guidelines from the CDC to avoid discretionary travel and follow the The President’s Coronavirus Guidelines for America, the Dare County Control Group has made the decision to restrict visitor access to Dare County beginning today, Tuesday, March 17 at 2:00 p.m.

While there are currently no individuals who have tested positive for COVID-19 in Dare County, officials weighed the potential benefits for community health along with the tremendous impacts these restrictions have on our community. These restrictions may be inconvenient, disappointing and have financial impacts, however, they were made in the interest of public safety to limit the spread of COVID-19.

Beginning at 2:00 p.m., checkpoints will be established at entry points to Dare County and no visitors will be allowed access. Permanent residents, non-resident property owners and non-resident employees of Dare County businesses may review entry guidelines at www.darenc.com/entry. Reentry permits from previous years will not be accepted. Staff is working to activate the online permitting system by 1:00 p.m.

To avoid contact with personnel, please display your permit on your dashboard so it is clearly visible for checkpoint personnel.

Visitors will not be allowed to travel through Dare County to access Currituck County (Corolla), Hyde County (Ocracoke Island), or Tyrrell County. People who reside, own property or work in Corolla or Ocracoke will be allowed entry.

Personnel working at the Emergency Operations Center are available to answer COVID-19 related questions using a dedicated phone line. Please call 252.475.5008. Personnel anticipates a high volume of calls. If you reach a voicemail, please leave a message and your call will be returned as soon as possible.

Edited by Cephalopholis

That SUX, maybe because of the circumstance they can make an exception...i see a lot of other people in

the same boat and they are pissed-  not good for anyone?!

15 mins ago, ghost said:

According to my realtor I just lost my full two week rental fee (no refund) without rental insurance. 

I'm afraid you aren't the only one. However you may possibly have some recourse if you can get in touch with the actual owners of the property - especially if you are a regular guest. The realtor will not refund their "hard earned" portion but the owner(s) may be more understanding. Good luck and sorry you're not headed to the OBX - yet.

So what happens if Currituck County, Tyrrell County, and Hyde County won't let any Dare County residents into their counties?  Stuck at the beach?  I guess this only works if you have bridges on all entryways into your county and you have a lot of money in your county coffers.  I suppose it could grow, Pitt County won't let anyone enter from Wilson or Lenoir Counties, etc., etc., etc.  Pretty knee-jerk action in my opinion.  OH

Currituck County residents are allowed access to Dare County by showing a drivers license.  Any non resident that can show proof that they are working in dare County will be allowed access.  Any non resident home owner will be allowed access.  Very restricted but all access is not being denied.

19 hours ago, ghost said:

According to my realtor I just lost my full two week rental fee (no refund) without rental insurance. 

That is total garbage!  I am in the same boat.  I work for Marriott International at their HQ and we have changed our policy on refunds to customers impacted by COVID-19.  We are giving refunds to all customers who booked an advance purchase rate as long as they cancel before 24 hours of arrival.  I cannot believe these rental agencies would be retaining money from people, that is so unethical. 

I have been emailing the person I am renting from in April and they are not even responding now! 

22 hours ago, ghost said:

Realtor won't give me owners name, I already asked. 

I am going to start unpacking, it does suck.

Do you have the address? If so, you can find the owner’s name in the Dare County tax records. There’s a website.

Insurance is imperative anytime when renting on the coast.