Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pksurfish

Surf spinner - 6 1/2-7' for 1/2-1 oz.

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

I am looking into getting a 6 1/2-7' spinning rod for the surf and back bays to throw small jigs/lures of 1/2 to 1 oz. This is unfamiliar territory for me. Any recommendations for factory rods that meet this description? Blanks for custom rods? The lure weight is what it is, but does the length sound right or would something a little longer be better? thanks much.

I love my St Croix 6'6 mh spinner. It is a little light for one ounce. They make a 7' that fits in that range and seems really nice. I also have had good luck with Fenwick rods of this size. I wound a couple 6-7' rods. The quality production rods do the job just as well without the work. I guess you could go to 8' or so if you wanted, but I love catching medium size blues and bass on my little rod. Good luck.

Been there and found the Lami XS81MS as the solution. Works great but its 8 feet. The Loomis 1083 will throw half better but can't fight a fish as well as the Lami. If the majority of lures is 1/2oz, look at steelhead rods. smile.gif

[This message has been edited by MarkL (edited 11-06-2002).]

I have a Lamiglas XPS 764 that I use for the light stuff in back bays etc (I use a Lami XSRA 1083 in the surf). Its only rated to 3/4oz but I love it, and have found it will fling an ounce without much trouble if required. Worth a look IMO, Tim has them in the store under "Popping Rods".

XPS764, SPIN, 7'6", 1 piece, 3/8-3/4, 8-17# line, ModFast action $139.95

I'm using a Lami XS81 MS 8' spinner with a Shimano Stradic 4000 loaded with 30 pound Whiplash. Perfect for the application you name. A little long for a boat casting stick, but perfect for back bay surf spinning, small plugging and tossing rubber. Tosses the 1/2 ounce stuff better than the 1083 Arra (I own both). Top end about 1.5 ounces, real comfy from 1/2 to 1 oz. My favorite set up to fish with. Rod is available right here in the on line store for $180.00.

I go Loomis all the way, but there is a VERY nice alternative for cheap bucks...

Bass Pro Inshore Extreme. The one with the Fuji Concept guides. NICE stick! They went on sale for $59, not sure about now. (regularly $99) Cannot beat that deal with a stick.