slip n slide

spring steelhead

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Fished a couple days in NE Ohio for spring steelhead.The water was the perfect level where it's pushin' but not too hard to wade and colored w/ the slight cast of runoff from the recent rain.

Overcast conditions,light rain and temps in the 40's made for pleasant conditions and few ppl first day.2nd day the river had more ppl than I like and had dropped 6-8" and cleared and it was almost 60 by noon.I was gone by then.

Fished low on the river system first day and found some bright chrome fish just arriving.Smokin hot fish just going berserk,w/ rooster tails coming off the line as they raced around the river,lost many that I hooked which is typical for fresh as they change direction on a dime and run right at you after blazing 100' of line off and all sorts of crazy tricks.They do not fight fair.Still managed close to 20 fish landed the first day alone.

This AM they were gone,all moved upstream overnight.It took some miles of walking and fishing the water to find the "pack" and they had settled into a series pools/runs just below a long section of rapids.Fished until 11 this AM,more than satisfied w/ the number and quality of fish I'd caught.

Here are a few pics....

P3120259.JPG

P3110254.JPG

P3110248.JPG

P3110256.JPG

I look forward to any story from slip n slide especially on steelhead. (Smallmouth too) Good story and nice bright fish made my evening. What flys work....buggy or spey or egg?

10 hours ago, saltyh2ofly said:

I look forward to any story from slip n slide especially on steelhead. (Smallmouth too) Good story and nice bright fish made my evening. What flys work....buggy or spey or egg?

Thx bro!

Two wks ago they were all about the minnow.Drifted,swung,whatever,they wanted it.They were also holding in deeper holes and runs.Many colored-up winter fish that had arrived earlier in the season and were slowly working their way upstream.

Now that the water has topped 40 deg there are some fish on gravel and everybody's looking at eggs.Chartreuse and Niagara gold in sizes #10-12 were the hot colors.Orange,pink,not even a sniff.All fish were found in briskly moving water w/ some at the head of the holes as they were prepared to move on and upstream.The fish on gravel were the fall runs and the spring fish just arriving were tight and hard-fighting and I focused on those.

The spey guys were doing well on a variety of patterns in wht,pink and lt blue.I couldn't discipline myself to break away from #'s fishing and stuck w/ yarn but there is one local who swings speys every morning it's fishable before he goes to work.Same hole,even same spot where he's worn the moss/algae off "his" rock and he always seems to get some fish in the 1 1/2-2 hrs he fishes.

I've gotta have something to obsess on since striper fishing has gone to crap,they need a break from us.

I fished steelhead a LOT years ago and lost interest to some degree as so many others took it up but until yesterday the #'s of ppl haven't been bad.Last fall was the same,not so many ppl that I couldn't find water to fish alone.