Rate this topic

64 posts in this topic

Please stop asking for people to tell you where to stand - it’s not gonna happen. If you haven’t caught a fish in the Ditch it’s not because you aren’t standing in the right spot - they swim from one end to the other, both sides :wave: Catching fish in there has much less to do with where you are standing and much more to do with what you are doing while you are standing there. Have you caught stripers anywhere else? If so, do whatever it was you did in the other spots - it will work at the Ditch :idea:  Watch what other people are doing if you are really stumped. You can literally stand anywhere on either side and expect to catch striped bass...don’t get hung up on where to put your feet :wave: 

TimS

Posted (edited) · Report post

46 mins ago, kid_just_wants_to_fish said:

Hello,

I am 14, can somebody please explain the breaking tides and when that occurs. Also drop some good locations on the canal and what time of the year to go. Thanks

The canal is literally one of the fishing spots in the NE these days that's almost stupid fishing..... if you walk down and cast out and not catch a fish, then your not holding your mouth open the right way.... lol.... 

When I started fishing I looked at spots where I found people set there feet the most, then I planted right next to them and eased my way in and asked questions!!! I would keep going back continuously to see when why and how the bite is... 

If I were you, I would scout out certain areas of canal..... and if you see people in the same spots over and over and over again it's for a reason.... they wont just be there to eat their lunch if you know what I'm saying.....

Edited by Fishy4335

1 hour ago, kid_just_wants_to_fish said:

Hello,

I am 14, can somebody please explain the breaking tides and when that occurs. Also drop some good locations on the canal and what time of the year to go. Thanks

Breaking tides are the change of the tide at first light. It is a productive time when the fish are feeding near the surface, so have a couple surface plugs in you arsenal and practice using them before the season is under way. Allot can be said for the setting sun as well. A overcast fogy morning offers the same spectacular bite.

Venture out on your own, or with a friend. You will find it rewarding, finding the bite on your own. In time it, will all come together as you learn the area and feeding patterns. 

If in a line up, use the same casting technique as others around you. You will not make any points tangling lines with others around you.

To me there is not a better experiences than witnessing a fish crash a plug, that you are working to entice them to eat. 

As far as when; the simple use of a tide chart will give you this information. Get there early.

Great fishing and tight lines

Lou T

2 hours ago, kid_just_wants_to_fish said:

Hello,

Hey young fellow.

I forgot to add; when you witness a bite and others are on, just don't go barging in there. Especially if you don't know them. Show a little respect and common courtesy. If there's enough room, ask if they mind if you join them. Those fishermen are there to enjoy themselves too. That will go a long way in being accepted. After all you would enjoy the same.

Lou T

1 hour ago, Fishy4335 said:

The canal is literally one of the fishing spots in the NE these days that's almost stupid fishing..... if you walk down and cast out and not catch a fish, then your not holding your mouth open the right way.... lol.... 

When I started fishing I looked at spots where I found people set there feet the most, then I planted right next to them and eased my way in and asked questions!!! I would keep going back continuously to see when why and how the bite is... 

If I were you, I would scout out certain areas of canal..... and if you see people in the same spots over and over and over again it's for a reason.... they wont just be there to eat their lunch if you know what I'm saying.....

hi Ian,, i gotta Tell you, i don't know how long u been fishing the CCC, or how much you fished the CCC... But "Stupid" fishing, if you fished the last couple of years, especially 2017, 2018, the term Stupid could be used, yes , somewhat, for breaking and blitz fishing, but that is also replied to other Northeast spots, such as When  Montauk, was "Stupid"...fishing, the years prior before stupid fishing at the CCC, It was any thing but Stupid Fishing, there is and was a BIG leaning curve, especially, Heavy Jigging, during this prior period , when this period was not the place to be, you had to learn when, where, why, and how. To be perfectly honest, i hope the fishing At the Canal, reverses , back, to before the Stupid Fishing tag came to be...yes it was harder, but made you, a better fisherman there.....

Hey kid. Ifen yer fourteen then ya know how to weight fer a school bus.

The canal is the same ting. Ya weight fer da fish to come along.

Don't tell my buds but It's kinda stupid an easy too.Ya just stand thar an weight fer the fish to come through.

All da fish going ta Maine   fer a vacationcut. through da canal.

28 mins ago, lureman said:

hi Ian,, i gotta Tell you, i don't know how long u been fishing the CCC, or how much you fished the CCC... But "Stupid" fishing, if you fished the last couple of years, especially 2017, 2018, the term Stupid could be used, yes , somewhat, for breaking and blitz fishing, but that is also replied to other Northeast spots, such as When  Montauk, was "Stupid"...fishing, the years prior before stupid fishing at the CCC, It was any thing but Stupid Fishing, there is and was a BIG leaning curve, especially, Heavy Jigging, during this prior period , when this period was not the place to be, you had to learn when, where, why, and how. To be perfectly honest, i hope the fishing At the Canal, reverses , back, to before the Stupid Fishing tag came to be...yes it was harder, but made you, a better fisherman there.....

Well said, this whole idea of the canal being "stupid easy fishing" is driven by social media and guys who chase reports and don't bother showing up until they know "the canal is on fire". When the fishing is normal you have to grind for the fish, put in your hours, jig hard and even then sometimes nothing works. 

If the bite is on anyone can throw a MS and catch a fish. If you want to actually become a good canal angler it will take much more. The canal has a steep learning curve to catch fish on all tides, phases of the moon, etc. The ditch is far more than just a breaking tide fishery.

4 hours ago, kid_just_wants_to_fish said:

Hello,

I provided you with the information you need to understand what a breaking tide in the canal means and how to make the determination when it occurs. Go check out your first post regarding  your $200 rod purchase.Peace

4 hours ago, Fishy4335 said:

It is only easy there when it is easy. 

39 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

I provided you with the information you need to understand what a breaking tide in the canal means and how to make the determination when it occurs. Go check out your first post regarding  your $200 rod purchase.Peace

Never seen the kids first post. Took the time to read yours though...:th::th:

Didn't realize we where getting jerked around by a kid.

Thanks

Lou T

3 hours ago, lureman said:

I was referring to past few years Butch, but yes I hope that things change to a more normal front 

CCC is so easy.

You go there, sit on the chair, open beer, get your lures on the ground next to chair, carefully only one at the time, 3 to 4 feet away from chair and wait.

No rod required; during the blitz, fish will see your lure and jump out of water to catch it.

Keep on mind, it is against the regulation to have two lures, out of the bag, at the same time.