Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am 14 years old and currently have two surf rods that I share. I have a 9 foot Daiwa, (FTS902MFS) medium heavy. I also have a Hurricane MAKO, (1002SRF) medium heavy. The line recommendation on the hurricane rod is 17-40. Currently, I have 50 lb zebco line spooled on but I believe the line diameter is too thick thus not creating long casts. The weight rating is 2-6 oz also. I was wondering if this is good enough for the canal to start out with. I am new to the canal and live about an hour and a half away. I was wondering if I should minimize my line strength to 30 creating more line capacity on my spool and thinner diameter. What lures should I use on my two rods? Could somebody explain to me when the best time is for fishing? I heard something about a new moon tide and breaking tide but I don't know how to recognize it and don't fully understand it. Any help is appreciated. :)

Posted (edited) · Report post

Some good threads in the mass forum, weed through the nonsense.

50 lbs is the standard at the canal. Personally i use 40# braid but id say the average is 50. Youll want 200 yards of braid min, im not familiar with zeb specs but i presume thats fine. Fish can be caught on 30, but you want the saftey factor when your putting the works on a big fish in strong current. 

For a rod, you need to throw 5 ounce jigs and control it, meaning lift it off the bottom without the rod bending like a pretzel. That said a 2-6 should be good most of the time for most of your applications. 

Those are good times, but there are others. Try your luck, write down what works. The best way to learn is make a fishing logbook

Also, for casting distance: Technique i going to be your best bang for your buck at the moment. Watch youtube videos on how to cast, youll have a big improvement i suspect. Also, as you grow, youll pick up some more. there is alot of physics in the motion, but you also need some strength which youll get naturally. Keep trying 

Edited by gulino12
Add

2 hours ago, kid_just_wants_to_fish said:

mono

That’s your first mistake. You probably aren’t catching anything because you’re getting maybe 3 yards on your casts. Now I’ve never been to the canal but try using 50 pound braid and a 36” 60lb mono leader and see how that goes.

P.s.

Take it from me, I would keep the ignorant questions to a minimum. They’ll chew you up and spit you out.

12 hours ago, kid_just_wants_to_fish said:

Hello,

I am 14 years old and currently have two surf rods that I share. Any help is appreciated. :)

I will offer you some advice. Don't get caught up in the online fishing nonsense. You cant catch fish through youtube, fbook, instagram, or even StripersOnline (although @TimS is working on that).

The fish are in the water and theyre waiting for your first few casts. You need to take whatever gear that you have an go test the waters. The fish will be in your area throughout the Summer and a little bit before and after that.

Here are a few keys to get you started in the right direction:

1) Striped Bass eat any living bait fish that could fit in their mouth. Do some research as to what kind of bait fish swim around Mass. Macks, Bunker, Squid just to name a few.

2) Throw bait or plugs to "match the hatch". This will increase your chances of finding a linesider to connect with. The quickest way to find out whats swimming in the canal is to go to a bait shop near the canal, ask the guy what bait is running and which plugs would match the hatch. The best way to figure out what bait is running is to be on the water and observe your surroundings.

3) dont overcomplicate it. I am a bit more seasoned than you but I could go to the Canal and catch fish on freshwater gear if I wanted (not warranted). Certainly, your gear will get the job done until you decide you want to up your game.

4) GO OUT AND FISH. There is no better way to increase your catch rate than spending more time on the water.

Bonus: DO NOT ASK ANYONE WHERE TO FISH. That is the fun part. Find your own spots and give them cool secret names that only you and your other 14 year old buddies know.

Theres much more to it than what i've posted but this will get you started.

hi buddy, ok first, and foremost, fish with what you have, not what people are going to tell you, to have ,, you are young fourteen, correct, just starting out, no need to rush out to keep up with the Jones , so to speak, ,remember about the Canal, there are, three levels to the water column to fish, topwater,; where fish are breaking on top of the water, column, plugs to use, Pencils, and poppers, below the surface, or sub-surface, of the water column, plugs to use , Stick Shads, Magic swimmers, darters, gliders, trollers, any plug, designed to swim below the surface, so to speak, and the bottom of the water column, where it get somewhat tricky, Jigging, it is the primary, on the bottom,,,,jigs can vary, bucktails, Salvages, Gags paddletail rubber, with jigheads,, non-paddletail rubber baits.Slug-gos,Meda-shads, in weight, 4 to 7 oz....When Jigging, correctly, when mastered,,, jigging is mastered, with time, and with time in, and knowing, current, tides, moon settings, bottom structure, when, where, how,,the gear you have should be are suitable for use at the Canal, put your time in, you will make mistakes, but LEARN, FROM THESE MISTAKES, and within time, you will master fishing at the Canal .......

Use what gear you have, but in my opinion using mono is the biggest mistake you can make fishing the Canal. I’d HIGHLY suggest using braid. 

Take some time to watch others that seem to know what they are doing. You can learn a lot by simply observing. 

Listen to Lureman, he’s not bad for a Jersey guy. :p

35 mins ago, TLap21 said:

Use what gear you have, but in my opinion using mono is the biggest mistake you can make fishing the Canal. I’d HIGHLY suggest using braid. 

Take some time to watch others that seem to know what they are doing. You can learn a lot by simply observing. 

Listen to Lureman, he’s not bad for a Jersey guy. :p

LMAO :hi5:ha, ha, ha, hi buddy, its ALL good, i will see this season.... thank you...