Capt.Castafly

Rocky Point Fishing Pier

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Here's another State Project well underway, the new fishing pier at the Old Rocky Point Amusement Park.

This upper bay jewel will give bottom fishermen access to some spring tautog, scup, sea bass, and sea robin fishing along with some nice vistas of the upper bay.  

IMG_1931.JPG

IMG_1932.JPG

IMG_1934.JPG

DEM should camp right at the entrance to that pier to check for licenses and proper rules following.  Looks nice, hope it stays that way.

Just about every spot in Warwick officially closes at sunset.   Parking only dawn to dusk.   Conimicut, Sandy Point, Chepiwanoxet, Goddard Park and Oakland Beach all have nighttime parking restrictions.  I haven't been in the Rocky Point area in quite a while but I would not be surprised if that has a restriction.

I visited this area last fall and it's been cleaned up quite a bit. But the fishing pier was still under construction. I just hope people treat it responsibly.

I "thought" I saw a sign at the parking lot that it was day use only but night parking was allowed by permit, but I also may have dreamed it. :kook: If I get over there again, I'll check it.

Right now with the construction of the fish pier going on, both gates at each end of the parks are closed.

The only access is foot power. I don't know if even peddle bikes are allowed, did not see one.

I can't imagine not having motor traffic once the pier is done, especially for the handicap. It would just be too far for them to use the facilities. I believe the City of Warwick owns the park which makes it different than State Park laws. I know I can fish Colt State Park at night or launch my boat there anytime, even when the saw horses block the entrance. I've had some local police take issue, but having the written statement with you clears it up in a hurry.    

I have no idea if this is so, but if night-time parking there is anything like North Kingston, Kingston, and South Kingston, the "permit" consists of calling the town police and saying you're going to be parked at X location and will be fishing in the area.  As long as it's a legit parking area that's all that seems to be required.  In my experience.  Maybe I've just been lucky.