Save your casts and your arm

Rate this topic

joefishnj21

So I'm a little embarrased by this being as though I'm 34 and in good health, but unfortunately I have to cut down on my surf fishing a bit. Last year ortho said I had ulnar neuropathy from elbow damage. Best approach was PT and rest. Years of baseball, and being a college rower (where I would bow my arm from rowing portside), along with thousands of casts have caught up with me. Word to the wise, and many of you guys probably know this, save your casts. What I mean is, I always prided myself on being sort of a surf fishing workhorse. Dont know why I had that strange intense mentality but I did. Throwing the plug like crazy. Blind casting. Hating on the parking lot crew that would just stare out than mob those who hooked up. As a result I picked up a few more fish than everyone else at times because I was making more casts than everyone. Well, frankly, looking back, it was dumb. Now, when I cast too much, i have some numbness and pain in the elbow that will last for several hours..point is, be efficient. Pick your spots, and don't over throw. I had good form, 10-2, 9 -3, and let my rod load up and do most of the work.. but its still a lot of torque. I'll be out of course this year. Its in my blood, I love it too much, but I have to cut back. Sucks. Just watch for it. Im sure many of you have been the suds 30 years and never had a problem, but it can sneak up on you and really screw up a great hobby. I see a lot of new guys joining too. Maybe this can save their arm/shoulder/elbow.Thats my 2 cents. Look forward to seeing some of you guys out there this year.

Edited by joefishnj21

My 1st case of this came last season and lasted pretty much all fall.  It caused me a lot of discomfort at night when sleeping and moving about.  I scaled back my outings and as I head into this season I know to plan and take longer breaks between trips.  . 

"I was a waste of time dumbasses"  Sevenxseventy1

Sucks to hear that. Smart message you have for everyone. Will definitely keep what you said in mind. My problem is the only way I know how to fish is the way you described. Dont have the personality to just sit around and wait for someone else to hook up. Lot of times I'd get nothing if it were not for that trait. I notice as I get older and my back is not as strong as it use to be I definitely think efficiency. When young you dont care but the older you get you start to wisen up and think several moves ahead. I never thought about applying that methodology to fishing but as you explained it should be done. 

I think as I get older I'll just have to get out when i have the highest chances of success according to the conditions etc. What I do now is I force the outing then beat everything into a pulp until I get the result.

Anyway thanks for sharing!

Same thing is happening to me. I just got back into fishing last season and I have been playing guitar for 25 years and lifting weights for 20. The combo of fishing and lifting is killing my elbows and shoulders. I am a little older than you (39) and I wish I could say it would get better but unless you’re really careful it probably won’t. I have had to really cut back on lifting. Some days I have to choose either fishing or lifting. Physical therapy can help and also a word to the wise if you’re sleeping on your stomach, don’t. It’s awful for your joints.

Edited by Sevendust111

Coach always told us "you have to go with the little hurts"  I still go all time, but don't make as many casts. Odd thing is. I'm righty, and the problem is my left elbow. Can't figure that one out.

My wrists suffer more than the elbow. Had right one rebuilt, left one after this season. And yes I've heard all the jokes already.

I am the poster boy for cortisone injections.

48 mins ago, The TideRunner said:

Coach always told us "you have to go with the little hurts"  I still go all time, but don't make as many casts. Odd thing is. I'm righty, and the problem is my left elbow. Can't figure that one out.

My wrists suffer more than the elbow. Had right one rebuilt, left one after this season. And yes I've heard all the jokes already.

I am the poster boy for cortisone injections.

Curious as to where you used the cortisone

Did the cortisone work and for how long ?

11 hours ago, jerseystriper said:

My elbow was shot after January. Looked up some youtube tennis elbow exercises to perform. Amazing what even a 3 pound weight doing wrist curls can feel like. Help a lot. Elbow still has some pain to it but nothing like it did. 

Yup. Also ice rubbed just above the elbow joint for 15 mins works wonders.

Pfantum Pfishah