Sixguns

Freshwater Question

4 posts in this topic

I may be able to get out on the water a bit earlier this year.  My question is, what time of day is better in early Spring for freshwater fishing?  Trying for LMB, SMB, perch or pickerel.  any info or advice would be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks

This time of year I prefer mid-day (late morning through the afternoon) when the sun and the temps are their highest. Once we begin to have more consistently warmer nights, the morning bite should start to turn on. 

I approach figuring out patterns in fresh the same way i do in saltwater, put in some time & figure out what the current pattern is, what works early spring one season may be off the next.

In salt, some times a bite can be very tide stage specific, some times not... sunny days & warming waters will trigger some feeding regardless the water type, go early morning into late morning & put in your time, do some late afternoon / evening trips & in short order the answer will come to you.

Most of the lakes around me are shallow & weedy, high 40's low 50's water temps will be about where i start, water warms quickly in the shallows, go slow, for me,  jig & trailer, chatter baits, plastic worms & top water twitch baits are a good place to start.....  try suspending jerk baits in deeper areas, go slow & do a lot of pausing & let it sit there a few seconds throughout the retrieve...i always have a weightless black plastic worm on one rod, ill bring 2 or 3 & swap back & forth till i figure it out..

Best.....