slfriedm

Coronavirus and South Florida?

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, slfriedm said:

I didn’t think of the spring breakers, no viruses should be transmitted in those groups...

Only sexual transmitted. 

SWFL Coast the breakers will be mainly in FT Myers beach area. The northern end considered Times Square will be the worst. As you make yourself south and towards Bonita the crowds are less of a problem with the younger breakers. They don’t mix well old and wrinkled.  

The wife is already telling me we are not flying for our April vacation in Florida. I could take the Jeep down (Daytona Jeep week) and tow the boat, but not sure she will go for it. 

Mine is talking the same.  First time that I have ever booked a place without travel insurance too...  Things don't appear to be getting any better by then too.

I am reading that it is best to wait to rebook anything to the last minute because the airlines are getting more generous every day.

It is really hard to know what to do.  Should you still even fly domestically now? 

21 hours ago, ged said:

The wife is already telling me we are not flying for our April vacation in Florida. I could take the Jeep down (Daytona Jeep week) and tow the boat, but not sure she will go for it. 

Ugh... I have a trip to SWFL in April too.  I'm sticking with my flight and hoping all of this calms down by then.

16 hours ago, Jay in the Bay said:

Ugh... I have a trip to SWFL in April too.  I'm sticking with my flight and hoping all of this calms down by then.

Doesn’t seem like this is ending anytime soon

1 min ago, Jay in the Bay said:

Greaaat......

We just cancelled our trip. Been looking forward to this for months but couldn’t see it being a good decision.  Disney closing sealed it for us, a profit driven place like Disney closing scared us. 

I’m afraid we could get down there and everything would be closed. 

On 3/12/2020 at 11:24 AM, slfriedm said:

I am reading that it is best to wait to rebook anything to the last minute because the airlines are getting more generous every day.

This is our plan.  Although seeing that you cancelled yours, doesn't make me feel any better...

I called the condo that we booked, about 2 weeks ago.  They said no refunds and basically we are SOL if we don't use.  I am wondering if the flights shut down, Disney now shut and whatever else happens between now and then, and realize there is no way for people to get there, they might at least work with us on re-booking.  The airlines says cancel within 7 days, so I still have a little time for that.  Rental car, I can cancel up until that day.  I feel bad for those trying to rent the condos, but would have to imagine they can work something out.

36 mins ago, Porktown said:

This is our plan.  Although seeing that you cancelled yours, doesn't make me feel any better...

I called the condo that we booked, about 2 weeks ago.  They said no refunds and basically we are SOL if we don't use.  I am wondering if the flights shut down, Disney now shut and whatever else happens between now and then, and realize there is no way for people to get there, they might at least work with us on re-booking.  The airlines says cancel within 7 days, so I still have a little time for that.  Rental car, I can cancel up until that day.  I feel bad for those trying to rent the condos, but would have to imagine they can work something out.

I am struggling with a well known resort in the mid Keys.  They are not being very accommodating. I’ve been there several times and I am surprised at how unwilling they are to help. I don’t want to name them here.  Unfortunately, they already have our money so I am not sure what to do next. They offered to rebook before the end of the year but we cannot travel by then, besides coronavirus won’t be over till hurricane season is here and going during hurricane season is not in the cards.  

as you move down the corporate food chain, from Disney and Hilton to single operator resorts, to mom and pop rentals, I feel their pain but one would hope reasonable minds prevail in the end.  

I was out today and you’d never know anything existed with a virus. Lovers key was packed, spring break is in town. Roads are packed.